Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 11.3 - Photos excessive background activity/battery drain

On iOS 11.3 - Photos is averaging 4 - 8 hours of background activity (6 minutes on screen as of now) every day, draining the battery very rapidly (I need to charge 2 - 3 times a day now).

There are other issues as well:

- When I take a new photo, it does not show in Photos/is not available to send for 15 minutes to an hour

- Photos I've taken recently show- but cannot be zoomed into / edited / or sent. Those buttons are grayed out. (they become available for those actions after a few hours)

Settings:

I'm running iOS 11.3 on an iPhone 7 with plenty of disk space.

I do have a large library (~120,000 photos) but this has not been an issue until 11.3

iCloud Photo Library: On

Optimize iPhone Storage: On

Upload to my Photo Stream: On

iCloud Photo Sharing: On

Transfer to Mac or PC: Automatic

iPhone 7, iOS 11.3, 128GB

Posted on Apr 1, 2018 12:26 PM

Similar questions

32 replies

Apr 18, 2018 12:37 AM in response to Ben Parzybok

Same issue is plaguing my IOS experience and rendering my Iphone 7 / 256GB into a phone that is always connected to a charger.

Battery info of the last 7 days shows 26 minutes of screen time and 30,9 hours of background activity (52% in total).

• 117000 photos
  • 4500 videos
  • Icloud Photo Library = on
  • Optimise Iphone Storage = on
  • Upload to My Photo Stream = off
  • Icloud Photo Sharing = on

May 1, 2018 4:33 PM in response to Ben Parzybok

I have tried:

- clearing up a lot more space on my phone (about 40gb free)

- turning icloud photo library off / back on

- restarting many times

- updating to the newest beta (to see if they'd fixed it)

No luck yet. Putting the phone into lower power mode will help, but in an average day, Photos still takes about 55% of my battery

(1 minute on screen, 8 hours in the background!)

May 1, 2018 10:15 PM in response to dave_indent

nope still draining away.. if it was a app by a non Apple dev I would of deleted it..

turned on data for photos see if that is the problem maybe it trying although cannot connect.

Although last night it was sitting next to the wifi router 😟

Would be nice for once Apple to say yes its a problem 11.3.2 will be out in 2 weeks to fix sorry.

Not just 11.3.2 gets released notes say fixes bug where photos drain power.

May 11, 2018 11:40 PM in response to Ben Parzybok

Same problem. 1 year old 256 gig iPhone 7plus. 27000 photos. (But that should be irrelevant. Many were put on from my PC.

Can’t take a quick photo and send it right away. Wait 5 minute or close the app and restart first. Slow and frustrating. I’ve had iPhone 4,5,6 and now 7+. Seriously considering android next time. My kids swear by them.

I believe phones are purposely slowed down and battery’s don’t last as long as my old iPhone 4 did. They want us to upgrade minimum every 2 years.

Fix he problem please. 😡

May 12, 2018 3:09 AM in response to fjufjhfshdhf

Same problem. 1 year old 256 gig iPhone 7plus. 27000 photos. (But that should be irrelevant. Many were put on from my PC.

Are you giving your iPhone enough time over night to get the background processing done?

When you import photos the Photos.app will scan them to recognize faces and objects.If you import 27000 photos at once, it will take many days to complete the scan of the photos. Even my Mac needed two weeks to scan 50000 photos for thousands of categories like birds, Christmas trees, bridges, and more. Give your ipHone time to get the job done and keep it up and running during the night, connected to power.

May 12, 2018 6:07 AM in response to léonie

Most of these photos have been on phone all year. Phone used to be snappy fast. Was awesome. Battery lasted long time. This is a new problem since recent updates. My iPad2 did the same thing. Slowed down to useless. Even after deleting almost everything including my photos. It’s ovcioisly a software thing.

-When you take a photo and want to send as a text you shouldn’t need to stare at it for a few minutes and close the app first before it finally works. Also I now need to charge phone before I’m done work. My battery health says it’s good still. 88%. If changing battery would fix things O would do it, but I think problem goes deeper

May 15, 2018 12:17 AM in response to léonie

I think that should not the case: the results (faces etc) are kept in Icloud + synced across devices.
Previously that type of analyzing was shown to the user as a counter that showed how many photos were left to sync. My problem is still the constant state of Photos "updating" that never stops and that was the case before I did the factory reset.

May 15, 2018 10:54 AM in response to dave_indent

I had thought that I'd attempted to fix the issue by permanently deleting photos in the 'Recently Deleted' album, but after attempting this route again last night things do now seem better. The phone isn't overheating and recently taken photos can be sent/edited right away. Photos background activity is still very high -- but perhaps I haven't cleared the 24 hour mark since I implemented the fix.

I'd also purchased the 'System Status' app to monitor CPU and wifi usage (among other things). Before I did the photo deletion trick, CPU usage rarely dropped before 40%.

Right now it's hovering around 12%.

Fingers crossed!

May 18, 2018 7:16 AM in response to Ben Parzybok

Exact same problem. iPhone 8. ~120,000 photos. Started in iOS 11.3. Wiping phone, re-adding iCloud Photo, replacing with ANOTHER iPhone 8 did not fix. Photos take minutes if not hours to show up in moments. Photos app uses 50% battery in the background. Can’t share or edit photos anymore. This is BANANAS. Have called Apple support multiple times. They are trying to escalate this issue. Sounds like a very documented problem. Will try deleting a ‘junk photo’ and see what happens.

iOS 11.3 - Photos excessive background activity/battery drain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.