Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cursor disappears from external monitor on 10.13.4 update

Since updating macOS to 10.13.4 my cursor disappears on my external monitor.

A temporary fix is to increase the cursor size in System Preferences > Accessibility > Display > Cursor Size.

I'm on a MacBook Pro 13-inch 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 port laptop.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on Apr 2, 2018 9:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2018 1:57 PM

Same issue here after 10.13.4 update

A little bit more details though, based on what I've read here and there, in case it could help :

• Issue occurs on :
    • MacBook Pro 13-inch 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports
    • External monitor :
      • connected through USB-C > HDMI
      • 1920*1080 @60Hz
      • rotation : 90° (works fine only when set to "standard rotation")
    • Magic Mouse 2 connected since 10.13.3
  • What I've tried to fix the issue :
    • make the mouse pointer bigger : works, but not the best solution for me
    • rotate my screen to standard rotation : works, but not the best solution for me
    • reset SMC and PRAM : fail
    • set Mirror Mode ON then OFF : temporarily works, then pointer disappears again when using Safari/Finder/Mail(...)
    • try the other USB-C port : fail
    • install 10.13.4 combo update : fail
  • Other info :
    • The mouse shaking feedback works (cursor is displayed since its size is not the default size)
    • Cursor actually works (but, well, being invisible, it's useless)
25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2018 1:57 PM in response to followtheheard

Same issue here after 10.13.4 update

A little bit more details though, based on what I've read here and there, in case it could help :

• Issue occurs on :
    • External monitor :
      • 1920*1080 @60Hz
      • rotation : 90° (works fine only when set to "standard rotation")
    • Magic Mouse 2 connected since 10.13.3
  • What I've tried to fix the issue :
    • make the mouse pointer bigger : works, but not the best solution for me
    • rotate my screen to standard rotation : works, but not the best solution for me
    • reset SMC and PRAM : fail
    • set Mirror Mode ON then OFF : temporarily works, then pointer disappears again when using Safari/Finder/Mail(...)
    • try the other USB-C port : fail
    • install 10.13.4 combo update : fail
  • Other info :
    • The mouse shaking feedback works (cursor is displayed since its size is not the default size)
    • Cursor actually works (but, well, being invisible, it's useless)

Apr 14, 2018 12:04 PM in response to pierre-alban

I'm confirming this same issue with a nearly identical setup and attempted fixes.

Issue occurs on :

• Started with recent update to High Sierra 10.13.4 (as soon as I restarted for the update the problem was immediate)
  • External monitor :
  • 1920*1200 @60Hz (Asus PA248q)
  • rotation : 90°

Like Pierre, increasing the mouse size via the Accessibility window in system preferences is a temporary solution but as soon as you scale the mouse to low it will disappear again. I tried rotating my monitor display to "standard" and can confirm that allows you to view the mouse on the external monitor at the mouse's normal size. Again, changing back to 90 degrees rotation will make it disappear again. Mirroring displays works until you go into a finder window then it disappears again. Resetting SMC and PRAM doesn't it solve it either.

Until a solution is found I will have to live with a larger cursor size. It's the only work around that I know of.

Thanks Pierre for being thorough

Apr 17, 2018 11:07 PM in response to followtheheard

I'm having the exact same issue since upgrading to 10.13.4 on a 2017 13-inch MacBook Pro.

Most suggestions that I can find online do not help alleviate the issue:

- increasing cursor size - Nope

- reset PRAM - Nope

As I realized it only happens when I hook it up to my LG 5K monitor (as recommended and sold on apple.com), which is set to a higher scaled resolution, I tried setting the resolution to the default recommended resolution. Lo and behold, it fixes the problem!

I'm not entirely happy with the fix though as I am used to the higher resolution on the 5K monitor and now things look gigantic. I also could use a little more screen real estate.

Hope Apple could fix this issue soon.

I also would like to add that it happens to me rather consistently when I am coding on Sublime Text 3 and Atom. It does not happen on apps like Safari, Finder or Slack.

Edit: It seems that it generally occurs to rotated screens, I would like to add that mine is not rotated. I'm using the 5K monitor in landscape mode.

Cursor disappears from external monitor on 10.13.4 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.