Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with voice during CarPlay calls since iOS 11.3

Hey everybody,

since the iOS 11.3 update, I've got problems with calls in my Seat Car. When people call me and my iPhone 7 is connected via CarPlay with my car, people hear my voice distorted/ blurred which makes it hard or impossible for them to understand mr. If my phone is connected via bluetooth, the call will work perfectly and my voice is just fine.

Does anybody have the same problem oder encountered anything similar? I would really appreciate any kind of feedback!

Thanks 🙂

iPhone 7, iOS 11.3, CarPlay

Posted on Apr 3, 2018 2:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2018 12:55 PM

Greetings, XWB!
Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you are having an issue with your voice to be distorted with the connection from your iPhone to your vehicle through CarPlay and I’m happy to help! I recommend taking a look at this article with steps to Set up CarPlay with your iPhone. Specifically:

Get help

If CarPlay doesn't work like you expect, here’s what you can check. After each step, try using CarPlay again.

1. Make sure that Siri is turned on.
  2. Restart your iPhone and your car. Depending on your car, you might see the CarPlay Home screen when you turn it on. If you don't, look for the CarPlay logo on your car’s display.
  3. If possible, connect your iPhone to a different USB port in your car.
  4. Try a different Lightning to USB cable. Make sure that the cable is certified.
  5. Update to the latest version of iOS.
  6. Check your car’s manual for help. You might need to install firmware updates for your stereo.

Let me know the results and have a great day!

Similar questions

163 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2018 12:55 PM in response to XWB

Greetings, XWB!
Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you are having an issue with your voice to be distorted with the connection from your iPhone to your vehicle through CarPlay and I’m happy to help! I recommend taking a look at this article with steps to Set up CarPlay with your iPhone. Specifically:

Get help

If CarPlay doesn't work like you expect, here’s what you can check. After each step, try using CarPlay again.

1. Make sure that Siri is turned on.
  2. Restart your iPhone and your car. Depending on your car, you might see the CarPlay Home screen when you turn it on. If you don't, look for the CarPlay logo on your car’s display.
  3. If possible, connect your iPhone to a different USB port in your car.
  4. Try a different Lightning to USB cable. Make sure that the cable is certified.
  5. Update to the latest version of iOS.
  6. Check your car’s manual for help. You might need to install firmware updates for your stereo.

Let me know the results and have a great day!

Apr 5, 2018 1:27 AM in response to XWB

Dear all,

I'm experiencing the same problems when calling using CarPlay on 11.3.

I have done the following actions trying to resolve the this:

1. Turned Siri on

2. Restarted phone

3. Official Apple USB Cable

4 And have the latest version of 11.3

This unfortunately resulted in no change and still have the issues. After these actions, I have restored my phone back to IOS 11.2.6 and the problems when gone.

Please Apple solve this issue because this is really annoying for people when I call, and I have to switch to bluetooth to have a normal call.

Apr 19, 2018 7:26 AM in response to XWB

I also can confirm these problems, phone calls currently are impossible in CarPlay mode here:

iPhone 7 – tested on iOS 11.3 (15E216), iOS 11.4 (15F5037c and 15F5049c) connected to a KENWOOD DMX7017DABS with an original Apple Lightning to USB Cable.

iPhone 6s – also tested on iOS 11.3 (15E216) connected to a KENWOOD DMX7017DABS with an original Apple Lightning to USB Cable.

---

A wireless Bluetooth connection always works flawlessly, though.

And by the way: A Samsung Galaxy S8 connected via Android Auto to this KENWOOD DMX7017DABS with its OEM cable works properly, too.

I need CarPlay in its full range of functions – urgently. I bought this KENWOOD device in order to navigate without further external equipment!

Thanks in advance for your empathy :-) ...

May 14, 2018 8:33 AM in response to XWB

I have KENWOOD DNX694S. Looks like a lot of people are having issues with KENWOOD. Interesting. I downloaded the 11.4 beta. I’m using a iPhone 7. My problem was when I called a land line. I could here the other person but they couldn’t here me or it was very garbled. Cell phones didn’t seem to be a problem. Once installing the beta the problem went away. Here’s hoping the problem is fixed.

Here’s the link. Obviously it’s at your own risk..... it’s a beta. https://idmsa.apple.com/IDMSWebAuth/login.html?appIdKey=4b98a8e6a3a3ce265b93c902 07c442b53c45a1afa9ff1dc9bde8bb6928078d3b&path=%2F%2Fbetaprogram%2Flogin_to_legal &rv=2&view=3

Apr 5, 2018 3:11 AM in response to XWB

Please do the following to make sure that you downgrade and getting the best results:

- Restore Iphone (make sure you have a backup) and select the 11.2.6 version (option Key mac).

- Then restore your backup, and you should be good to go.

When using the option "Update", you will have still all the data and the problem is still there.

Sorry if I have not explained it correctly.

Apr 10, 2018 11:07 AM in response to XWB

2017 VW Beetle Conv.

iPhone 7+

IOS 11.3

It's certainly an APPLE issue. I've downloaded the IOS 11.3 update and all of my CarPlay calls are garbled! ALL! When I connect to Bluetooth, they are fine, crisp and clear. Do better Apple instead of sending your customers on a run around! I've replaced my phone and SIM in this process to have the problem persist!

Apr 12, 2018 8:18 AM in response to XWB

Hey everybody,

Thanks for keeping this thread alive 😉
I talked again with Apple (Germany). After resetting the network settings, the support told me to do that, the problem remained. Finally, he wrote a report with all my details and information and submitted it to Apple. Furthermore, I attached a video with the problem, to illustrate the effect and sent a link to this thread.

I just can recommend everybody to do the same, to contact Apple and, if nothing else works, to report it to the development department. Only the majority of cases and customers make an impressive effect.

As soon as I get a feedback, I'll tell you. 🙂

Apr 16, 2018 5:53 PM in response to Amitburke

I too have the exact same issue after updating to iOS 11.3. It is not a problem with your head unit or factory integrated CarPlay as has been suggested in many other posts about this issue, it is iOS 11.3. This has been verified as an iOS 11.3 problem by plugging in multiple pre iOS 11.3 phones into the same car using the same lightning cable. No issues whatsoever with any of them. As the rollback window for 11.2.6 has now been closed you can do nothing to fix this problem unless you are willing to wait for a new iOS that addresses this issue. Contact Apple, you may get the same favourable result as I did with this issue (a new phone is in transit & I should be receiving it today or tomorrow) 🙂

Apr 18, 2018 7:21 AM in response to XWB

I've got this problem, too. First of all, I thought that it's my fault (It's a new car) but as I attached my wifes (still 11.2 ) iPhone, everything worked fine. (Setup: Seat Leon, Seat Sound System, iPhone 6s Plus 11.3 (15E216) T-Mobile Germany).

BTW: I can hear everything fine. The bug only seems to be in the upload direction

Apr 18, 2018 2:50 PM in response to XWB

I hope this has cleared up for you.

I may have stated before but this audio issue is manifesting itself in many ways, not just for CarPlay.

Amongst my friends and work colleagues, it appears those with 7s and 7+s are having the most with phone call audio issues, whether through any Bluetooth Device or through the device speaker.

I have been told multiple times that this very well might be a hardware issue but I simply find that hard to believe with my small subset.

Good luck with your fix!!

Apr 20, 2018 4:56 AM in response to XWB

I have the same issue since upgraded to IOS 11.3. The calls with Bluetooth were fine! Only having issue with the calls using car play with robotic, fragmented audio. Tried to reset, forget the car play and re installed, the issue persist! This must be a iOS 11.3 problem. It was working fine prior to the upgrade. Please fix this issue ASAP!

Apr 21, 2018 7:40 AM in response to XWB

We are experiencing the same issue. We have iPhone 6 plus and iPhone 7, both upgraded to iOS 11.3. Calls using Apple CarPlay are garbled for the person on the receiving end but sound fine on our end. We also tried all the recommended fixes from Apple including resetting our phones and using a different cable. Nothing has resolved the issue and as others have already stated, this started after the upgrade to iOS 11.3.

Apr 21, 2018 1:39 PM in response to XWB

The same problem here with a Kenwood DMX7017BTS car stereo and a iPhone SE. Worked without a problem with 11.2 after upgrade to 11.3, the voice is robotic and the callee cannot understand me. I understand everything. "Talking" to Siri is working fine.

I tried the suggested solutions, even upgraded to ios 11.4 beta, but nothing is working. It is a really bad situation atm.

Problems with voice during CarPlay calls since iOS 11.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.