Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microphone not working on iPhone 7

When making phone calls I cannot hear the other person, and they can't hear me. My voice memos app won't let me record anything in order to test the microphone and speakers. If i take a video, there is no sound. I can get sound on previous videos though. Siri can't hear me. I took my phone to the genius bar a couple days ago, and they did a factory reset. It didn't fix the issue. He said he ran diagnostics, and only told me that I should buy a new battery. I just did apple chat, and was told I need to take it in for a hardware issues. Any other ideas? Is this going to cost me a replacement?

Posted on Apr 3, 2018 4:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2018 5:07 AM

I have the issues too, just saw an article on idrop talking about it. It looks to be related to latest SW update messing with the HW. I took the phone in last week (05/04/2018). They ran a few tests, at first, device not supported for them to run test, then they did a network reset and it helped for the test (some type of audio test), it passed them, they said you are good, tired a couple fo calls, worked, about 5 minutes later, got a call from wife, same issues, went back and this time after multiple resets etc, everything failed. Just opened a new Genius bar ticket to have reviewed. As an FYI, you can use bluetooth and it does take calls etc. (temp. solution). It is just from the physical phone that we cannot.

232 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2018 5:07 AM in response to jmstew20

I have the issues too, just saw an article on idrop talking about it. It looks to be related to latest SW update messing with the HW. I took the phone in last week (05/04/2018). They ran a few tests, at first, device not supported for them to run test, then they did a network reset and it helped for the test (some type of audio test), it passed them, they said you are good, tired a couple fo calls, worked, about 5 minutes later, got a call from wife, same issues, went back and this time after multiple resets etc, everything failed. Just opened a new Genius bar ticket to have reviewed. As an FYI, you can use bluetooth and it does take calls etc. (temp. solution). It is just from the physical phone that we cannot.

Aug 2, 2018 10:54 AM in response to lyle153

• My mic problem starts when i updated to 11.4
  • I chatted with apple support
  • went to genius bar, want to charge me $349 to do a swap since they stopped replacing out of warranty for this issue for free at the start of july. No one can downgrade me back to 11.2
  • chatted again with senior support who set up a call with customer relations
  • got call from customer relation (***) then another call from senior support (***) who offered me a $200 gift card that only works on accessories and that's the best he can offer. because the internal document shows the free replacement is only for 11.3 and 11.3.1 iphone 7 devices that ended in May and not for 11.4 devices.
  • Told me to send a feedback at Feedback - iPhone - Apple under Software/Hardware Compatibility and hopefully there will be enough people to send it so Apple *might* agree to replace it.

I am going to keep trying, but i recommend you guys submit the issue in feedback to get Apple to notice us.
[Edited by Host]

May 5, 2018 8:17 AM in response to jmstew20

Same here with my 7 plus 256gb. Went to Verizon. They said apple problem. Went to apple and they said Verizon problem. I pressed and they acknowledged issues but said since out of warranty would have to pay 350 or so for repair. I was like... apple broke this phone and the arrogant “genius” was so completely dismissive with a take it or leave it attitude that I switched to Samsung galaxy S9 plus and after a week I love it. First android phone since having owned every iPhone from 4-7. This “genius” lost an 20+ year apple customer for life.

May 10, 2018 6:25 PM in response to jmstew20

Same problem! After a week of calls where the other person couldn’t hear me and my service provider determining it wasn’t the service, I went to Apple. Three hours later and several diagnostic tests they couldn’t find anything wrong but gave me a new phone. Same problem with the new phone but today I saw the articles about the iOS 11.3 problems and went back to Apple. They were not willing to acknowledge that it could be a hardware problem caused by the software update but, again, gave me a new phone. So we’ll see how this one does. It’s hard to determine when the mic problem isn’t consistent. Apple needs to take responsibility for the problem and provide a solution.

May 12, 2018 9:41 PM in response to jmstew20

My daughter have the 7 plus and everything work just fine until she update to the newest firmware 11.3.1. Now, her phone can't hear nobody or nobody can hear her talk. The speaker phone also grey out. Her front camera shake like a person have Parkinson. Off coarse, her phone is out of warranty. Take to apple care, and they diagnosed and said, since her phone have water damage, they have to replace the phone and gonna cost me $349. ***, this phone work just fine until she update to the latest firmware. How is that our fault? Water or NOT, it' the firmware that mess up the phone. If they not gonna repair, then they should replace for free of charge. I read online that thousands of iphone 7 or 7 lus effected by this firmware. This will be my last apple products that I buy eve if they not gonna replace or repair free of charge.

May 19, 2018 9:29 PM in response to jmstew20

Fascinating. Very same issue. Iphone 7. Did a full clean install--without restoring from icloud. So as a new phone. Latest IOS. Still not able to record a voice memo, make a FaceTime call nor can anyone hear me if they call me. After being on a support chat with Apple, they transferred me to a Manager who looked into it. Finally he arrived at this comment, "So, right now, we are working on a fix for this and hopefully it’s available as an update soon."

He suggested I use a Bluetooth device to get by until a fix or to simply buy a new phone.

Nice. Paye $650+ for the iPhone 7 2 years ago and now am expected to either get a new one or deal without being able to place calls--until a software fix is in.

My confidence in Apple just took a bit hit. Sure, they may think I'm locked into their eco system, but if you can't support paying customers with a "reasonably" quality and useful product (i.e. a cell phone that you can use to talk to other people with) then why would anyone be loyal? I've since purchased a Galaxy phone (used) since it is working and affordable until this POSSIBLY gets fix.

Not happy....

Oct 30, 2018 6:59 AM in response to jmstew20

Hi. Same problem over here. After download IOS 1.3, mi IPhone 7 (128GB bought on march 2017), started to have microphone issues (noise, voice gaps, etc) but it wasn’t until IOS 12.0 that all the microphones shut down. We need some answers from Apple. I am a user and a Fan of its products and its the second time i had problems (first one was the Battery on IPHONE 5 and now this. Please some advise.User uploaded file

Aug 29, 2018 3:03 AM in response to eedison

I am facing the same issue too post software update of 11.4

1. Mic not working over call
  2. Speaker option being greyed out during calls but working fine while playing music
  3. Phone Boot taking longer than normal immediately after software update

Actions taken so far

1. I reported this issue to Apple authorized service centre (Unicorn infosolutions pvt ltd, New delhi -110017) the next day itself on 11th aug 2018 without much delay. I told them the issue has come after software update . I was told that there is dust issue in mic and needs to be cleaned. I was charged INR1000 for the same. But it didn’t help and I was told that there is no process for the service charge even though they couldn’t resolve my issue. After much discussion, they refunded my service charge on the next day.

2. Then I took technical support on call and I was told that my iphone needs to be restored through itunes as it would fix any software issue. I restored the phone through itunes over call but it also didn’t help.

I called again and I was told that there is nothing further which can be done over call as it seems to be a hardware issue and will be a paid service since my phone is out of warranty. I again mentioned that the issue has arised post software update but they told me that hardware issue cannot come due to software update. I asked for her seniors’ help but I was told there is no option of reaching out to any senior person and he is last point of contact.The only option is to again visit the service centre and get it repaired.

3. I researched on this issue more and found that globally many customers have faced the same issue post 11.3 /11.4 software update and reported it on apple communities, reddit, ifixit etc. As an exeption in this case, the phone has either been repaired/ replaced by apple even if the phone is out of warranty. Below are the links to the same discussions:

4. I visited Apple authorize service centre (F1 solutions , Nehru place, New delhi) and I was told that the service charge is INR885 which is again not standard across service centres. The phone needs to be restored and data will be lost and thankfully I will be asked to pay only if the issue is resolved. The issues wasn’t resolved post the restoration also. Now they said the phone needs to be sent to Bangalore repair centre and the cost for replacing mic will be INR16000 to be paid by me and entire display panel needs to be changed since mic is a part of the display panel. I told them about the so many gobal customers facing the same issue immediately after software update but they failed to acknowledge it.

I called up the technical support team again and they asked the service centre incharge to run the diagnostics. The diagnostics were done and mailed to the apple support person. I asked the service centre incharge to show us the report of the diagnosis to know the issue with my iphone but I was denied .

5. Finally I reached out to apple support team over chat and asked them to share the email contact of the grievance cell where I can report the issue. She again asked me to restore the phone. I told her its already been done. Then she again took the diagnostics , then again scheduled a call with technical support. I told her this has already been done earlier, now I need the next step action because I am dissatisfied with the reply I have received.

She still insisted for a technical support call. I took the call again and it was a repetition of the phone diagnosis over call and then telling me it’s a hardware issue and I need to pay for the repair. I told her again and again that issue is caused due to software update and apple should ownership of this but she told me that a software update will damage the entire phone and not just one part. I asked her then how come so many people across the world are facing same issue and she didn’t have answer. I again asked for email contact of the grievance cell/ customer care but she said there is no such option.

6.Now this is due to my extreme dissatisfaction with apple support received through technical support and apple authorized service providers above that I needed to reach out to you.

Also I have been told that there is no customer grievance cell/ customer care email id where I can report the issue which is extremely annoying when there is no one to address your concern and reply on it . Something which is also frustrating is that there is no transparency on the communication with the customer and the customer doesn’t have any copy of the conversation with the apple team.

I will certainly never buy an apple product in future and will never recommend the same to my family and friends.

May 11, 2018 6:49 AM in response to kristinafrombirmingham

Well, went to my Apple appointment, guess what, the phone had no issues then, so nothing could be done. Everything was recorded on my first visit but beacuase it did not replicate, I was sent home. Guess what, again? It is now acting up, again. Not only does it have the usual symptoms that we all see, but it also turns on and off the speaker button at will, crazy! I will open my third ticket soon enough.

May 18, 2018 9:40 AM in response to jmstew20

Having the same issue. Started up on Monday this week. Phone won't recognize when headphones are plugged in either. Everything is completely clean and there is no damage to the phone. I've done a reset, restore from a backup and restored from iTunes as a new phone as suggested by Apple - still not working. Supposed to have a genius bar appt this weekend - garbage to have to wait a full week - everything else is working fine. Voice memos doesn't allow me to record anything either, doesn't even give the option to press the record button or toggle the speaker input. They wanted me to pay $99 to replace the phone and then put a hold on my credit card for the full replacement cost $1200 for the phone until mine was received by them ... getting close to going back to Android if they don't get this resolved this weekend without a penny leaving my pocket.

Microphone not working on iPhone 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.