Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stretch a recorded GarageBand loop?

How does one plant a recorded loop in GarageBand, then stretch it out to fill a different period of time? Preferably without changing pitch.

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4), 16 GB

Posted on Apr 3, 2018 7:12 PM

5 replies

Apr 4, 2018 11:19 AM in response to léonie

léonie wrote:

provided you enable flex and "follow tempo and pitch" in the smart controls

Minor correction léonie, the Flex controls are in the Audio Editor, not in the Smart Controls,

User uploaded file

With the Flex Time feature you can only correct the timing "inside" the audio file or have it adapt to the current Project Tempo (Follow Tempo), but I haven't found anything how to time expand/compress the entire Audio Region itself. No hidden key combination that I know of.

Apr 3, 2018 8:09 PM in response to Peter Inova1

You cannot do that in GarageBand. This is a more advanced feature available in Logic Pro X where you just opt+drag the Region Border to time compress/expand it.

The only wat GarageBand stretches an Audio Region without altering its pitch is with Apple Loops. For that, you have to convert an Audio File into an Apple Loop (drag it over the Loop Browser). However, the Audio Region has to fit into the current Tempo, and when used in a different Project (with a different Tempo), it automatically adjusts to that Tempo, so you still can't manually stretch to a specific length.

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich - LogicProGEM.com

(Author of the "Graphically Enhanced Manuals")

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Apr 3, 2018 11:30 PM in response to EdgarRothermich

I'm confused. I've had versions of GarageBand for years, and I seem to remember that stretching audio was a feature. Very useful, especially if you're trying to fit a narration track into subtleties of an edit. Is that whole idea gone now?

All I have in the Logic department is an old version of Logic Express. Any upgrade path for that?

Apr 4, 2018 1:50 AM in response to Peter Inova1

I'm confused. I've had versions of GarageBand for years, and I seem to remember that stretching audio was a feature.

If you record audio into an audio track in GarageBand and lower the tempo of the project or change the automation of the tempo track, the audio will play slower (provided you enable flex and "follow tempo and pitch" in the smart controls

If you save a region of an audio track as a loop with "File > Add to Loop Library", and add it back as a loop from the loop browser, the loop will also conform to all tempo changes in the project and be stretched or shrink.

When I want to stretch audio in GarageBand I save the region to the Loop Browser from a project with a high Tempo, then use it in a project with a lesser tempo, but the same key as the original project. The audio region needs to be trimmed to a perfect number of full measures. Otherwise it can only be saved as a one-shot loop, and one-shot loops will not conform to Tempo and pitch.

Stretch a recorded GarageBand loop?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.