Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

suddenly cannot login/boot after "upgrade" of 10.13.3 -> 10.13.4 installer errors

Context: Newish 2017 Macbook Pro from December (~4 months old) was working fine. Recently I installed all the new software updates via the App Store, including, I thought, macOS 10.13.4.

I continued working for a day or two, then I shut down my computer to travel to a meeting.

When I tried to start my computer at the meeting, I saw the login screen, entered my password and waited as it suddenly took a much, much longer time than normal to load after login.

Eventually a strange green "topology map"-style pattern took over the whole screen for a split second, and finally it stopped trying to login and went to the black Apple logo screen with a new progress bar.

See this in my error video: Error 1 Video.

Eventually this black screen gives way to a quick, grey "Install macOS screen" with a new empty progress bar.

After a split second, the entire screen flashes to grey.

It then flashes a new grey modal that says:

"macOS could not be installed on your computer"
"An error occured while loading the Installer resources. Quit the Installer to restart your computer and try again."

See this happen in Error 2 Video.

I click restart and it takes me through the boot process again, but this time blows up and provides a log file and an error message that says:

The macOS installation couldn't be completed.

If you continue having a problem installing macOS, the installation log may help you diagnose the problem. To save the log click Save Log.

To start installing macOS again, click Restart.

To start up your computer using a different disk, choose Startup Disk from the Utilities menu.

See this screenshot for an example: Error 3 Screenshot.

The log is long and I'm unable to save it or export it from the computer, but it seems to have blown in somewhere in "Thread 0."

One thing I have tried, that did not work, was booting in "safe mode," going to the App Store, and redownloading and installing the 10.13.4 update. This produced the same pattern of errors and another crash log.

I have earliest available genius bar appointment in 4 days, but I'm a freelancer and this is my primary work computer, so it's creating an issue for me.

MacbookPro info:

• 13.3" MacBook Pro (Mid 2017, Silver) (no touch bar)
  • 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 Dual-Core
  • 8gb RAM
  • 256gb storage

Assets:

Error 1: Error 1 Video

Error 2: Error 2 Video

Error 3: Error 3 Screenshot

Folder: High Sierra Bug

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Apr 3, 2018 9:09 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Apr 3, 2018 10:14 PM in response to birdsascopters

Had similar problems with my Late 2013 MacBook Pro, including the App Store disappearing, finder freezing, fans running constantly, etc.

I was running the High Sierra beta, all problems began after last update.

Tried every recovery trick and keyboard startup command I could without success.

Did "command+R" to start in Recovery Mode and tried to re-install High Sierra.

Installer informed me that my SSD 1TB OWC internal HD was not Apple spec and I needed the original Apple SSD internal HD to do the installation.

Binary gods were smiling and I found the old 256GB SSD quickly.

Pulled out the iFixit bit set and re-installed the original SSD.

Ran CleanMyMac3 for clean up and maintenance scripts.

Started in Safe Mode, shut down,

Reset PRAM/NVRAM - Command-Option-P-R, 3 system chimes, restart.

Even reset the SMC power management - Keys to Hold Down: Shift-Control-Option-Power (left side)

That all done, restarted in recovery mode and did fresh install of High Sierra 10.13.4.

MBP is faster than I thought it could be at 4.5 years.

No Finder lag, not network visibility issues, and the App Store has re-appeared.

Your mileage may vary, good luck

c2

Mac startup key combinations - Apple Support Intel based Macs

Mac keyboard shortcuts - Apple Support Post startup

suddenly cannot login/boot after "upgrade" of 10.13.3 -> 10.13.4 installer errors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.