Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All my iMovie Projects have disappeared

Am using an iMac with High Sierra 10.13.4 and iMovie 10.1.8 Turned the computer on yesterday and all my iMovie Projects are gone. Have checked all the iMovie Libraries (I have 3 of them) and have been into Time Machine but there is no sign of them. Most of the projects (about 20) don't matter as I have finished with them and have separate files for them on iTunes or external hard drive but a couple I was still working on.

Bit of a mystery to me as I have been using this program for years and never had a problem like this.

Any thoughts?

iDVD '11-OTHER, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on Apr 3, 2018 10:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2018 7:57 AM

Try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and then selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. Sometimes that cures glitches.

You also can try looking in the iMovie backups folder. To get there follow this file path from the Finder menu: Go/Home/Library/Containers/com.apple.iMovieApp/Data/Library/Caches/iMovie Backups. When you get there you will see a list of backed up iMovie libraries. Click on one that has a date just prior to when you lost your projects. iMovie will open in the backed-up library, and you can then check in the Projects browser screen to see if your projects are there.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2018 7:57 AM in response to gtiman48

Try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and then selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. Sometimes that cures glitches.

You also can try looking in the iMovie backups folder. To get there follow this file path from the Finder menu: Go/Home/Library/Containers/com.apple.iMovieApp/Data/Library/Caches/iMovie Backups. When you get there you will see a list of backed up iMovie libraries. Click on one that has a date just prior to when you lost your projects. iMovie will open in the backed-up library, and you can then check in the Projects browser screen to see if your projects are there.

-- Rich

Apr 4, 2018 11:56 PM in response to Rich839

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the suggestions. The first one deleting preferences did not fix the problem.

Have tried to follow your file path but I can't find a "library" after home. Could the library have been deleted, if it was this could explain why I can't retrieve the info from Time Machine.

It's not life and death but was interested to see what had happened.

Have tried a couple of short movies and they are recording in an iMovie Library under the "Movies" file.

Thanks for taking the time

All my iMovie Projects have disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.