Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie projects disappeared

I was working in iMovie and I had 5 projects in the works. I have had Mac computers for over 20 years and understand their function very well. I have never seen anything like this. It's like the projects were there on minute nd gone the next. I checked the trash, etc. Nothing. Any thoughts would be appreciated because one of then videos I was working on was for an upcoming memorial presentation. :(

Posted on Aug 27, 2022 8:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2022 11:48 AM

Great! Glad you recovered your projects.

The reason that I asked about the Backups Folder file path issue is because sometimes the Library item does not show up after clicking on Go/Home. In that case click on the little gear icon at the top of the Home screen, and then from the drop down menu click on Show View Options and then from the pop up window that appears, click on Show Library Folder.

-- Rich

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2022 11:48 AM in response to RetroDon

Great! Glad you recovered your projects.

The reason that I asked about the Backups Folder file path issue is because sometimes the Library item does not show up after clicking on Go/Home. In that case click on the little gear icon at the top of the Home screen, and then from the drop down menu click on Show View Options and then from the pop up window that appears, click on Show Library Folder.

-- Rich

Aug 27, 2022 10:23 PM in response to RetroDon

Hi RetroDon,

Commiserations!

Unlikely, but is it possible you have two different versions of iMovie installed ... you could check in the "Applications" folder.

(Also, some of us may create a presentation in Keynote. instead of iMovie).

Have you tried viewing the "package contents" of the iMovie "Library" folder ....

(ie: projects may be there, just not not loading to iMovie?)

_________________________________________________________________________________

Wondering which Mac Model,

which Mac OS version,

and which iMovie version you are using

Here are a couple of discussion threads on similar missing iMovie projects, with (maybe) some helpful tips

All my iMovie Projects have disappeared - Apple Community (Sierra 10.13.4 + iMovie 10.1.8)

https://origin-discussions-us.apple.com/thread/253524323. (Mojave 10.14 + iMovie 10.1.12)

_________________________________________________________________________________

Resources:

Online iMovie User Guide for Mac:

iMovie User Guide for Mac – Apple Support

You might want to reach out to the iMovie support team:

(There's a "Get Support" link at the bottom of their website (link below.)

iMovie - Official Apple Support

All the best :-)

Aug 28, 2022 3:20 PM in response to RetroDon

You're welcome, RetroDon. Thank you for your reply, and for the helpful info. on iMac and your MacOS.

Now the system I have has the recent MacOS updates ... so the iMovie files are in an (Apple made) folder called "Movies"

I'm not sure your where your actual iMovie Library would reside ..you could try searching for it in a Finder window

If you find it ... two finger-click on it to reveal a menu with "Show Package Contents" or similar, will open the folder. for you.

Aug 28, 2022 11:27 AM in response to brbo

Hi,

Thanks for your help on this!!!! I truly believe that I have not deleted the files, I simply think I inadvertently moved them without realizing I was moving them. iMovie saves files automatically and When I have intentionally deleted projects, I know the way to do that and I absolutely did not do that with the projects that are missing. I had a bunch of windows open at the time of the disappearing projects so who knows what prompt I may have initiated to move them. I have an older iMac desktop, OS El Capitan, version 10.11.6. iMovie version 10.1.6 Build Version 303325. I have tried to follow the link - Go/Home/Library/Containers/com.apple.iMovieApp/Data/Library/Caches/iMovieBackups but maybe because I have an older OS, it's not letting me get there.

iMovie projects disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.