Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Erase Phone Before Battery Replacement.

Do I really need to erase my iPhone 6s before sending it for a battery replacement?

I’ve just replaced the battery on a 4s myself and it took about 5 minutes and I didn’t need to erase it or change any settings.

It’s a pain to erase it and restore it.

Thanks you you for an advice.

iPhone 6s, iOS 11.3

Posted on Apr 4, 2018 4:05 AM

4 replies

Apr 4, 2018 9:33 AM in response to Ja0005

There was someone who posted about getting a replacement iPhone rather than the original one.

Re: Apple replaced my phone instead of battery replacement.

So Apple gave me a new phone instead of my old phone for the price of a battery replacement. They said the phone won’t accept the new battery and that my old phone is dead. New phone yay! Bad news is that I didn’t back up. I thought “eh what could go wrong. They’re simply replacing my battery”. Welp. Stupid me!

There are a few reasons why they might do it. One would be that they have the replacement in stock and it's faster than having a technician do it in the back. Then they would send it out to their central refurbishing facility where they do that all day. There might be a reason to reset it. Rather rare but not unheard of. Another possibility is that they damage something in the installation process and "make it right" by replacing it.

A replacement device is actually rather nice to get. They can sometimes be new, but if they're refurbished they always have a new screen assembly and a new battery.

Apr 4, 2018 4:16 AM in response to Ja0005

You need to back it up as a precaution in case you loose data in the process, and then that way you can restore it. If you are sending it away it might be a good idea to erase it, as your data will not be within your control. You will need to turn off Find My phone and disable the passcode lock so that the technicians can have access to the phone.

I had a battery replaced on an iPhone 6 recently, and did not erase it (only disabled FmyP and passcode) as I waited in the store while the repair was made. I did make a backup though, before taking it in to the store.

If I were sending it away, I probably would erase it, but that is my preference.

Apr 4, 2018 9:08 AM in response to Ja0005

No you don't. The question is whether or not you trust Apple to maintain your privacy. There's no need to reset it.

The biggest issue is that Apple may not actually return the same phone, which is the main reason why it's recommended to back up any Apple device before sending it in for service. They theoretically might reset the same device, but some people have ended up with replacement devices in lieu of an actual battery replacement on the same device. There was someone posting that just a few days ago - that no backup was done, they ended up with a new phone, and all the data was gone.

Erase Phone Before Battery Replacement.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.