Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pictures turning pink and glitching

I use Imovie all the time and it has never done this before, I exported my fiished movie and when i tried to play it it started to glitch, turning the screen pink with a green line through it. When I went back to Imovie and tried to watch the movie in there again the pink screen came up where pictures should be. I have deleted the app, tried different footage, deleted ALL my work and nothing is working!

MacBook Air

Posted on Apr 5, 2018 6:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2018 7:44 AM

Hi, Mak,

You didn't mention what version of iMovie you are using or what operating system. That would be helpful information. If you are using iMovie 9 with El Capitan or later, glitches with stills like you mention can happen because iMovie 9 is not fully compatible with those operating systems. The solutions would be to upgrade to iMovie 10, or run iMovie 9 on Yosemite or earlier.

If it is happening on iMovie 10, you might try opening the photos in the Preview App on your Mac, clicking on Tools/Adjust Size, and reducing the long resolution number to a number under 4000, like 2400 for example. Depending on what operating system you are using, possibly the format of the photos are in the new HEIF format from iPhone 7 or later, in which case iMovie may be having some problems with it.

With iMovie 10 you also can try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys, and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. Sometimes that cures glitches. Also, if the issue is project related, you might try doing an Edit/Select All, Edit/Copy, of the project media in your project, and pasting it into a newly created project.

-- Rich

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2018 7:44 AM in response to Mak2552

Hi, Mak,

You didn't mention what version of iMovie you are using or what operating system. That would be helpful information. If you are using iMovie 9 with El Capitan or later, glitches with stills like you mention can happen because iMovie 9 is not fully compatible with those operating systems. The solutions would be to upgrade to iMovie 10, or run iMovie 9 on Yosemite or earlier.

If it is happening on iMovie 10, you might try opening the photos in the Preview App on your Mac, clicking on Tools/Adjust Size, and reducing the long resolution number to a number under 4000, like 2400 for example. Depending on what operating system you are using, possibly the format of the photos are in the new HEIF format from iPhone 7 or later, in which case iMovie may be having some problems with it.

With iMovie 10 you also can try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys, and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. Sometimes that cures glitches. Also, if the issue is project related, you might try doing an Edit/Select All, Edit/Copy, of the project media in your project, and pasting it into a newly created project.

-- Rich

Pictures turning pink and glitching

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.