Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Troubles inserting pictures in iMovie 09

Hello,

I'm using iMovie 09.

I tried inserting pictures into a video clip as I have already done in the past.

But this time, when I play the whole clip, pictures are not showing, screen stays black instead.

Movie clips are fine, still pictures not.

I tried several version (definition) of the same file, it does not change anything.

Did anyone encounter the same issue before? Do you know what should be done to solve the problem? Some hiddensetting I should modify?

Posted on Jul 7, 2020 5:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2020 7:37 AM

iMovie versions 8 and 9 are not completely compatible with operating systems from El Capitan forward. Black screens for stills, but not video clips, is the most commonly observed problem. No cure for it other than to update to iMovie 10. If you already have iMovie 10 on your Mac you can, from within iMovie 10, do a File/Update Projects and Events to update your iMovie 8 or 9 projects into iMovie 10 as iMovie 10 projects where they can be edited. You can still keep the older iMovie version on your computer and still access the projects from there, to the extent that they are functional.

A workaround for iMovie 8 or 9 would be to change your still clip into a video clip, and then it will play normally without black screen. To do that, you can make a one-slide slideshow with your still clip, using the slideshow feature of the Photos app, or iPhoto app, and then export the slideshow as a video file. You then import the video file into iMovie and it will play as if it were a still image. No black screen. To adjust the duration you use the speed adjustment feature of iMovie to make the slideshow clip play for a longer or shorter time like you would for any video clip. If you have several stills that you want to use in a row, just make a slideshow of them, export as a video, and then import the slideshow video into iMovie as above.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2020 7:37 AM in response to Emmanuel_bxl

iMovie versions 8 and 9 are not completely compatible with operating systems from El Capitan forward. Black screens for stills, but not video clips, is the most commonly observed problem. No cure for it other than to update to iMovie 10. If you already have iMovie 10 on your Mac you can, from within iMovie 10, do a File/Update Projects and Events to update your iMovie 8 or 9 projects into iMovie 10 as iMovie 10 projects where they can be edited. You can still keep the older iMovie version on your computer and still access the projects from there, to the extent that they are functional.

A workaround for iMovie 8 or 9 would be to change your still clip into a video clip, and then it will play normally without black screen. To do that, you can make a one-slide slideshow with your still clip, using the slideshow feature of the Photos app, or iPhoto app, and then export the slideshow as a video file. You then import the video file into iMovie and it will play as if it were a still image. No black screen. To adjust the duration you use the speed adjustment feature of iMovie to make the slideshow clip play for a longer or shorter time like you would for any video clip. If you have several stills that you want to use in a row, just make a slideshow of them, export as a video, and then import the slideshow video into iMovie as above.

-- Rich

Jul 7, 2020 8:45 AM in response to Rich839

Thanks Rich for your helpful hints.

Unfortunately, I cannot upgrade to iMovie 10 as my (old) iMac runs on El Cap and I do not intend to upgrade the OS anymore (end of life dilemma).

I will therefore try opening my project on another computer running iMovie 10, and following your advice for the project upgrade.

Or try your trick of turning my stills into clips using Photos, and then importing them.

Thx a lot !

Troubles inserting pictures in iMovie 09

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.