Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I find music files in my Itunes folder?

I am running Itunes on a Windows 10 PC. According to the preferences tab in Itunes, I'm storing my Itunes stuff in C:\users\myusername\Music\iTunes\iTunesMusic.

I'm used to Windows music, so I expected to see JPGs of album covers, and a file for each song, either in MP3 or something similar.

The strange thing is that there are JPGs, but nothing that looks like music.

Where are the music files? I need to port these files to a new Mac, and also would like to back them up.

What am I missing?

Thanks

null-OTHER, Windows 10 PC running iTunes

Posted on Apr 5, 2018 2:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2018 3:47 PM

Discovered that Itunes stores the music in .AA3 files. For some bizarre reason, the user created a sub folder in the normal Itunes folder. It was hidden among a bunch of old album folders that contained JPGs and no music. It was this subfolder that contained the actual music.

Solved.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2018 3:47 PM in response to BC01605

Discovered that Itunes stores the music in .AA3 files. For some bizarre reason, the user created a sub folder in the normal Itunes folder. It was hidden among a bunch of old album folders that contained JPGs and no music. It was this subfolder that contained the actual music.

Solved.

Apr 5, 2018 3:24 PM in response to BC01605

It is counter-intuitive, but the "iTunes Media folder location" setting is not used by iTunes to locate the existing content of its library or, as is the case with some other applications, to specify a location where any media files are automatically added. That setting only determines where new additions to your library will be places (in conjunction with other settings). For music:

• Imports from CD, purchases from the iTunes Store, and files added to the Automatically Add to iTunes folder will always go into <iTunes Media Folder>\Music\<Artist>\<Album>
  • Media added using File > Add File to Library or File > Add Folder to Library operations will be copied to that location if the "Copy files to iTunes Media folder ..." checkbox is selected.

It's not clear from your description whether your issue is:

• you have music files/folders in C:\users\myusername\Music\iTunes\iTunesMusic but these are not shown in the iTunes library, or
  • the songs/albums are listed in the iTunes library, but can't be played because iTunes cannot find the media files.

Can you clarify?

Why can't I find music files in my Itunes folder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.