Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Creating a "Photos" library on an external HD which stores my 2TB of photos

Hi

I recently got a new MacBook Pro 2017 (with 256GB SSD).

I have an external hard drive which stores all my 2TB photos.

I want to use the Photo app on these photos.

My understanding to create a photo library would mean importing these photos into my laptop, and then moving the photo library back into the EHD. Is there a better to achieve my objective?

Thank you.

Paul

MacBook Pro, iOS 11.3

Posted on Apr 7, 2018 2:37 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

Apr 8, 2018 4:00 AM in response to paultansg

I noticed the process also duplicates the photos and stored in inside the photo library/Masters (when I show content package). Can I avoid this duplicate? It is safe now to delete the original photos in the EHD ?

All image files you are seeing inside the folder Photo Library/Masters have safely been imported to your library as managed photos and you can delete the originals outside the Photos library for this originals.

These two help pages explain how Photos is storing your photos:

Apr 7, 2018 9:59 PM in response to paultansg

I mean that you can delete the Photos library on the internal drive - as to deleting the source photos on the EHD that depends on if you have a managed library (if so then once the photos are import to Photos you can delete the source) or a referenced library (strongly not recommended but if you do you can not delete, more or modify the originals that are utside the Phtoos Library)

LN

Apr 7, 2018 5:44 PM in response to LarryHN

Hi Larry

>> then you can delete the library on the internal drive

The photo library in my laptop is original empty. The original photos reside in the EHD.

>> Once the new library is complete, tested and set as the system library

Do you mean once I tested the new library (on my EHD with duplicated photos in the library/Masters folder), I can safely remove the original photos in the EHD?

Thanks,

Paul

Apr 8, 2018 12:19 AM in response to paultansg

A Managed Library, is the default setting, and Photos copies files into the Photos Library when Importing. The files are then stored in the Library package

A Referenced Library is when Photos is NOT copying the files into the Photos Library when importing because you made a change at Photos -> Preferences -> Importing. (You unchecked the option to copy files into the Library on import) The files are then stored where ever you put them and not in the Library package. In this scenario you are responsible for the File Management.

However, these are not equal. Photos does not have any real tools for managing a referenced library, so if the path to the files changes for any reason - a folder or file renamed, for instance - then the library loses the file and becomes corrupted. Also, you can't use the Cloud Library with a referenced Library. Moving the Library - for instance, from one disk to another for some reason - is problematic too. I really - really really - recommend against using a referenced library. You're just storing up problems for the future.

If you prefer to work with a referenced library I would strongly urge you to consider another photo manager, one designed with that kind of workflow in mind.

Creating a "Photos" library on an external HD which stores my 2TB of photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.