Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing new photos into Photos with the JPG's actual metadata adjusted "Date Time Original" in EXIF and also In IPTC Core "Date Created"

Hi All

Is there a way to import what I’ll describe as a fresh Master of photo files, into a newly created Photos library, that will specifically import with the files', now changed, metadata “created date” (which was changed to match dates taken)? This question is being asked as the current Finder’s dates for these adjusted files, both modified and created, do not reflect what I want and I'd like to ensure that Photos's will recognize the accurate years. Can this been done upon initial import?

It appears when copying and moving files around that my Finder's behaviour, likes to create dates for files based on those current actions and I want to ensure that the first import into Photos will have the correct created date from metadata.

I have invested too much time renaming these files and correcting dates to have them imported with incorrect created dates by Finder's attributes. I have not tried Photos yet, this will be my first import. I have used iPhoto but will not use that Library as it was filled with wrong dates. All of the original files were extracted from the iPhoto Library and the edited metadata was made in Bridge and are now correct inside the file, but the files are currently dated otherwise. I don't know what behaviour to expect given this situation.

Or will this require me to use an application to change the Finder’s created date first?

Thanks

Only2cents

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Apr 8, 2018 9:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2018 11:00 AM

Create a test library and import a few of the photos into it. Check the metadata to make sure it's being read and displayed correctly. If OK then you can proceed with all of your photos. It's akin to putting your toe into the water before jumping right in.

User uploaded file

Similar questions

13 replies

Apr 8, 2018 5:39 PM in response to only2cents

if the Photo Metadata (IPTC/EXIF) is correct then the file dates have no impact on the dates in Photos (or any other photos program that uses standard photo metadata) - Photos only uses file metadata if the photo metadata is missing or corrupt

And obviously with a new Photos library the metadata will be of the photos you import to it - it has no way of using any other data

I think this answerers your question although I'm not sure

LN

Apr 8, 2018 10:03 AM in response to LarryHN

Thanks LarryHN

I just wanted to be certain that Photos didn't pick up Finder's created date and I believe you have answered it to my satisfaction. To be sure that I understand this, if the metadata wasn't present, it would be picked up with the Finder's created date.

As an aside, I believe that you can have a different EXIF "Date Time Original" and an IPTC core "Date Created". I may be wrong with that belief, but if not, which date will Photos pick as the created date first by default?

Thanks

Apr 8, 2018 10:27 AM in response to LarryHN

Thanks Again Larry

I asked that second question because after renaming and changing 30m pix and metadata dates, I likely missed ensuring both of those fields were identical or perhaps even input. I am only human and it was a monumental effort to ensure a Master library that would be useful forever with whatever digital asset manager I would use in the future and not be captive to ones that use catalogues to manage metadata. I wanted the information inside the file.

Hopefully, the way I now understand this, if the file doesn't have an IPTC date, it might? try for an EXIF date and, failing that, it would use the finder date? Or, does it just use the IPTC date only then default to Finder's?

You've been a great resource.

Thanks

Only2cents

Apr 8, 2018 1:21 PM in response to Old Toad

Hi Old Toad

Thanks for you help.

Question. I opened Photos. Went to preferences. What is "Use as System Library"? If chosen, does that just mean when Photos is opened that it is the Library that opens all of the time? I have been used to holding option key held down while opening to be able to choose a Library and am wondering if this is something else? Meaning, if chosen, does it always opens regardless of which Library I had opened last?

I will try a test soon but it may take some time as I am planning on ensuring different metadata fields are populated or not to see how this all plays out.

Thanks for the advice.

Apr 8, 2018 3:28 PM in response to only2cents

The system library is the one that can be connected to the iCloud features, i.e. My Photo Stream, iCloud Photo Library, be accessed directly by other Apple software and 3rd party software that has been updated to be compatible with the system and Photos structure.

Whatever library was the last to be opened will be opened next time when Photos is launched normally. If launched with the Option key held down one may change libraries.

Apr 8, 2018 4:00 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks.

So to make sure I understand that fully, if I create a test library that isn't a system Library, then it won't be able to use those features unless enabled later?

You mentioned 3rd party apps. I have Affinity Photo. Would it work on the test Library, (the one I will not designate system)? I was specifically wondering if a library wasn't a system library, whether it wouldn't allow Affinity edits to be saved in Photos?

Thanks for your responses.

Apr 8, 2018 5:38 PM in response to Old Toad

Hi Old Toad

I do realize iPhoto is a dead end as the support will be gone someday in future OS releases and that is why I am now retrieving all of my "original" photo files, completing the relevant metadata fields that weren't populated or that I deem necessary for my needs. I am sure this will play nice in Photos for the present and be somewhat future-proofed as a result of this effort. That is until I am faced with its obsolescence or a better DAM comes around that will work with my editing software. I am sure going to give Photos a try, but I am planning on approaching it with referenced files, despite what most would think.

Thanks again

Apr 9, 2018 9:06 AM in response to only2cents

If you're looking to move all of your original files to another system and want to take along all of the metadata (except faces) that you've added in iPhoto take a took at these tutorials:

iP01 - Recover Keywords, Titles, Comments and Rolls/Events From a Damaged iPhoto

iP03 - Converting an iPhoto Library to a Media Pro Catalog System

The first tutorial describes how to use MPSE to write the metadata to the original files in an iPhoto Library.

You can download a 30 day demo version of Media Pro here: Media Pro SE - Phase One

NOTE: Don't think the above will be valid as I though I was responding to a post in the iPhoto forum. The tutorial doesn't apply to a Photos library. 😟

Apr 9, 2018 10:18 AM in response to Old Toad

Good Morning

Thanks again Old Toad.

It's good information to know if I wanted to use metadata from my iPhoto Library.

Others that may be reviewing this thread, because of its reference to metadata, may find their solution in your add-on note.

In my case, I extracted all the originals which had negligible amounts of metadata entered manually by me in iPhoto. Bringing what was entered into iPhoto as metadata was not a big deal for my circumstance. It's what I did outside to the metadata to those extracted files, using Bridge, and how I could reimport them into a new Photos library that concerned me the most. In particular, how Photos would default the acceptance of date created from those altered files. I was uncertain how dates created (inside the changed EXIF and IPTC) compared to being viewed in the folders via Finder's "date created" would catalogue the date for Photo's purpose. That question has basically been answered, IPTC first?. Still testing.

BTW, I am importing all those nicely referenced original folders that were extracted in a manner that was created by year (ie 1955 etc) that, in my case had subfolders within the year, which just so happened to be the Event Names. I stumbled upon a very nice Script Editor that works great with my OSX El Capitan, and apparently others have found it works in more recent OS. I can't vouch for it working in the newer operating systems. Basically, it allows for dragging the entire Folder, with the subfolders named as the events, where my metadata changed files were residing, into Photos. You can see the workflow in action. It imports one folder at a time and then selects that last import. Those files are selected and it creates an Album, which it places under the year( ie 1955) with the Event name, as the album name. I am aware that this resembles the initial import of an iPhoto library where you wanted to keep events as Albums, but i didn't go that route for my personal reasons, which were to rename and re-date outside of iPhoto. I was only importing what Photos would think was a new directory with a bunch of subfolders.

I know this is off topic, but if someone took the time to read this far, it may be useful. Just search ImportPhotoFolders if you want more information.

Thanks

Only2Cents

Importing new photos into Photos with the JPG's actual metadata adjusted "Date Time Original" in EXIF and also In IPTC Core "Date Created"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.