Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I keep the original creation date when copying photos from my android phone to Finder?

MacOS High Sierra, v10.13.6, MacBook Air.

Android v24.21.7enUS

I take pictures using my Android phone. When I connect it to my MacBook Air using a USB cable, Android File Transfer opens. I navigate to the photos file, select the photos I want to bring over to my MacBook, and drag them into the relevant folder in Finder. When I do this, the creation date shows as the date and time I drag them.

In the past, i.e., on my old MacBook Pro (which just died), the creation date would be the actual creation date and time, no matter what or when that was. It's important to me to have this date displayed in Finder. How can I make this happen in my new MacBook Air?

Please do not explain the difference between the file-creation date and the metadata information (date and time the photo was taken). I understand the difference, I just really need the date that the photo was taken to show in Finder so that I can sort according to that date.

I've spent several hours searching for an answer and I'm here to tell you that there is no import option (File> Import Original does not exist) in Finder now (unless someone wants to tell me where it is because I really cannot find it anywhere) and Android File Transfer has no export capabilities. The only way to move files from one location to another is to select and drag. And Option+drag does not work either. Right clicking provides no options except delete and add folder.

HELP! I'm FRUSTRATING!!!!! (Yes, it's a verb.)

MACBOOK AIR (13-INCH, 2017), macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Aug 12, 2018 2:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2018 9:28 AM

I don't know of any way in the Finder to sort by the EXIF date. There are several ways using Photos to rename the titles in a sequence so when exported using the Title as the new file name they will be in the order you want.

The Finder is not the type of app you want to use for digital asset management. For that you want Photos, Media Pro SE, Lightroom, Photo Mechanic, Lyn, etc, which are considered DAM (digital asset management) apps.

What I've done in the paste each day I upload that days shoot and rename the files with the date and a brief description of the shoot:

User uploaded file

Then you can sort by file name and get the order you want. I use Name Mangler to rename the files.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2018 9:28 AM in response to joannakat

I don't know of any way in the Finder to sort by the EXIF date. There are several ways using Photos to rename the titles in a sequence so when exported using the Title as the new file name they will be in the order you want.

The Finder is not the type of app you want to use for digital asset management. For that you want Photos, Media Pro SE, Lightroom, Photo Mechanic, Lyn, etc, which are considered DAM (digital asset management) apps.

What I've done in the paste each day I upload that days shoot and rename the files with the date and a brief description of the shoot:

User uploaded file

Then you can sort by file name and get the order you want. I use Name Mangler to rename the files.

Aug 12, 2018 4:11 PM in response to joannakat

The original creation date for the image will be included in the EXIF fields that are located inside the file. The file's creation date will change every time you create a new copy of it.

You'll need an application that can read the EXIF fields in an image file. Preview can do that in its Info/EXIF section.

User uploaded file

If you don't see the Date Time Digitized in Preview then the Android is

not recording it correctly or it got stripped out in transfer.

User uploaded file

Aug 13, 2018 8:38 PM in response to joannakat

. Maybe one day, it'll enable the option to include an Original Creation Date in Finder's columns. Until then, thanks for this solution

Apple is already on the way to showing more photo specific metadata in the Finder.

Have a look at Apple's Mojave preview: macOS - Mojave Preview - Apple

The next system version will allow to see many more EXIF tags in the Finder

Complete Metadata

Metadata provides the key details of any file. Now the Preview pane can display all of a file’s metadata, or you can customize it to show just the metadata you want to see. So if you’re looking for a specific image, you can quickly confirm the camera model, aperture, exposure, and more.

User uploaded file

Aug 12, 2018 5:30 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks OT, yes, it's recording it properly and I can see it in Preview, but that doesn't help me to sort them according to the date they were taken in Finder, which is what I need to do. And it's what I did on my MacBook Pro.

It looks like Apple wants us to use their Photos App for all our photo needs (or to buy an iPhone). It has the option to import originals, but you can only do that from Apple supported devices. Androids are compatible, but not supported by Apple so the Photos App doesn't work with Androids. You have to get the photos off your Android device onto your Mac, and then you can import them into Photos.

I'm looking for an app that will replace the Android File Transfer App and enable me to "Import Original" so that the correct creation date (i.e., the date on which the photo was taken) will display in the Date Created column in Finder. Haven't found one yet but judging from all the complaints and questions online about this problem, it sure is needed!

Anyone?

How can I keep the original creation date when copying photos from my android phone to Finder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.