Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth connection problems - Mouse & Keyboard

Hi,

iMac Late 2017 / macOS High Sierra 10.13.4

Too often (IMHO) the bluetooth connection of the mouse & keyboard disappear.

That usually happen after awaking the computer.

Sometimes I have to wait 2-3 minutes for the bluetooth connection to reestablish it self, or that I must use the on/off switch on each devise.

There is no consistency with that disturbing issue, sometimes the bluetooth connection can disappear for 2 minutes at usual browsing as well.

In order to bypass that problem we have wired mouse that connected permanent to the iMac, it is our “Backup Tool”.

——

I gave the mouse & keyboard to the local Apple authorised service and follow their instructions:

01. Debug / Reset the bluetooth module < Did not fix the problem.

02. Reset NVRAM or PRAM < Did not fix the problem.

03. Reset the SMC < Did not fix the problem.

I would appreciate any other suggestions that may solve that issue.

Thank you very much in advance

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4), null

Posted on Apr 9, 2018 2:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2018 2:50 PM

Perhaps if you've not tried the NVRAM reset or attempted troubleshooting via SMC reset

instructions (follow each step before proceeding) ~ with use of wired USB keyboard/mouse

that is something to consider. Even a generic or PC keyboard could be useful in this.

Here's helpful instruction if you find yourself using PC keyboard...

"Keyboard Mappings using PC keyboard on a Macintosh" - microsoft

For those with previous BootCamp experience a 'reverse-logic' may also help:

• Use your Apple Keyboard in Windows with Boot Camp - Apple Support

Given there are several steps in the Apple Support's SMC reset article that can be useful

if tried one at a time as a form of troubleshooting. From my experiences in various Macs

the problem is better remedied this way ~ instead of trying the actual SMC reset, first.

And last if not least, arrange to have Mac undergo inspection and diagnostic at AASP.

User uploaded file

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2018 2:50 PM in response to globali

Perhaps if you've not tried the NVRAM reset or attempted troubleshooting via SMC reset

instructions (follow each step before proceeding) ~ with use of wired USB keyboard/mouse

that is something to consider. Even a generic or PC keyboard could be useful in this.

Here's helpful instruction if you find yourself using PC keyboard...

"Keyboard Mappings using PC keyboard on a Macintosh" - microsoft

For those with previous BootCamp experience a 'reverse-logic' may also help:

• Use your Apple Keyboard in Windows with Boot Camp - Apple Support

Given there are several steps in the Apple Support's SMC reset article that can be useful

if tried one at a time as a form of troubleshooting. From my experiences in various Macs

the problem is better remedied this way ~ instead of trying the actual SMC reset, first.

And last if not least, arrange to have Mac undergo inspection and diagnostic at AASP.

User uploaded file

Apr 12, 2018 1:55 AM in response to globali

Part of the problem as I see it now (having looked into the SMC article in Apple Support)

is there used to be several steps one would try and perform ahead of that SMC Reset.

{..And I used those earlier steps in many Macs to solve issues without resorting to Main

System Management Controller reset. But those steps are totally gone. Even a MacBook

with poor battery or iMac w/ other issue, could be brought back to life; but they're gone.!}

These often were enough to resolve issues without using SMC the final solution; because

it seldom worked to resolve the main issues behind the symptom. ~ Troubleshooting was

the only reason why I used to post that article. And now its neutered. I've commented via

link in the bottom of revised article: asking what happened to other troubleshooting ideas.

..Sorry, it's almost 1AM Thursday and I'm going offline to try & sleep..

[Too bad this ASC question was 'marked Recommended' by hosts ~ though remains unsolved.]

The issue goes deeper than the 'simple reset step now remaining' in Article.

And troubleshooting steps have vanished from this revised version now.

Perhaps you may need to post another similar yet different worded thread?

{..I know I would, and say what you've tried and outline the exact issues again..}

Maybe someone more an expert could see something there and offer ideas.

Someone who can read the console logs and use them to decipher causes?

User uploaded file

Apr 12, 2018 2:21 AM in response to K Shaffer

Didn't have time to post more before this thread timed-out; what I found may have

the missing bits I'd used in original SMC reset article to troubleshoot ahead to solve

issues without using 'their final nuclear ineffectual now only remaining non-solution.'

Haven't looked into other older archives where those steps gone from official support

article may remain elsewhere. Maybe search online through other similar name items:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+to+troubleshoot+SMC+reset+in+Mac+OS+X&t=ffsb&ia=web

Still, I suggest you start a new thread topic with new Title, and outline what you've

learned & tried; if you have an Etrecheck report (or email etresoft via email in his site)

you could add it; because sometimes those may yield at some useful hints. Or not.

..At 1:21AM..

Good luck in any event...! 🙂

Bluetooth connection problems - Mouse & Keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.