Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't access new hard drive...circle with line through it

I just installed a larger SSD in my Macbook Pro. Initilly, I used time machine to load the new SSD, however, it did not load all files, including photos and all of my music library. Instead on using Time Machine to load the new SSD, I connected my old SSD to my new one, copied everything on old SSD and pasted it to the new SSD. When I hold the option key down at startup, my old and new drives appear. When I select the new SSD, I get a circle with a line through it (no access). I then default to the old SSD and it opens. I can see the new SSD and can access all files.

Is there a solution to this?

Thanks

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Apr 9, 2018 5:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2018 5:23 PM

Copy and paste is not the way to go. Boot into Recovery, erase the new drive and reinstall Mac OS. Then the first time you boot up in Setup Assistant choose to migrate from your old drive. Hopefully, this time it will work as expected and transfer all your files. If it doesn't you can move the music library manually be dragging it to the Music folder on the new drive. But before you do that open Photos to be sure that it hasn't been transferred.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2018 5:23 PM in response to Clay Taft

Copy and paste is not the way to go. Boot into Recovery, erase the new drive and reinstall Mac OS. Then the first time you boot up in Setup Assistant choose to migrate from your old drive. Hopefully, this time it will work as expected and transfer all your files. If it doesn't you can move the music library manually be dragging it to the Music folder on the new drive. But before you do that open Photos to be sure that it hasn't been transferred.

can't access new hard drive...circle with line through it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.