Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

when i power up the mac i get this message “macOS could not be installed on your computer”. can anyone help please?

When I power up my MacBook Air it says “macOS could not be installed on this computer”. I have tried rebooting. It also says the path /system/installation/packages/OSInstall.mpkg appears to me missing or damaged.

Posted on Apr 10, 2018 12:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2018 12:40 AM

Hi

I read this elsewhere - "Once I received the "could not be installed on your computer message" and it told me to quit the installer and restart, I went to Apple logo in the upper left (maybe had to click a bit to make the menu bar appear?), and there was an option to choose the startup disk. It had my 10.12.6 system folder as an option, I chose it, it restarted, and instead of booting with the Installer, it booted normally!

Perhaps that will help you.

D.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2018 12:40 AM in response to krissyws

Hi

I read this elsewhere - "Once I received the "could not be installed on your computer message" and it told me to quit the installer and restart, I went to Apple logo in the upper left (maybe had to click a bit to make the menu bar appear?), and there was an option to choose the startup disk. It had my 10.12.6 system folder as an option, I chose it, it restarted, and instead of booting with the Installer, it booted normally!

Perhaps that will help you.

D.

Apr 10, 2018 3:55 AM in response to krissyws

I'm delighted for you! 🙂

May I also suggest that you shut down your computer and then restart in Safe Mode? Do this by pressing the 'shift' key immediately after powering up. If successful, you'll see 'Safe Boot' in red at the top right hand corner of your screen.

User uploaded file

Your Mac automatically checks the directory of your startup disk when you start up in safe mode. This is similar to what happens when you use Disk Utility to verify or repair your disk.

If your computer starts happily in Safe Mode, simply restart and continue using your machine.
Have a great day! 🙂
D.

when i power up the mac i get this message “macOS could not be installed on your computer”. can anyone help please?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.