Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Maps Turn By Turn Volume Problem with iOS 11.3 update

While I was pleased with the iOS 11.3 update solving the Apple Notes sync problem with my iDevices, I have discovered a new problem that iOS 11.3 may have introduced in Apple Maps.

Here is some background:

• I have had an iPhone X for almost two months
  • My car has CarPlay available via USB
  • I use a Bluetooth earpiece when rental cars don't have CarPlay
  • I updated to iOS 11.3 the day it was released (per iOS Notes problem referenced above)

My iPhone X and previous iPhone 7 had no problems with Apple Maps turn-by-turn (TBT) volume until recently. Once I entered a destination and pressed GO, Apple Maps would begin giving TBT voice directions whether via CarPlay w USB or wo CarPlay via Bluetooth or wo BT.

I first noticed an issue with the TBT volume about a week or so ago, shortly after the iOS 11.3 update. I was driving my car with my iPhone X connected via USB to CarPlay. I entered a destination and pressed GO and then asked Siri to play my Apple Music radio station. At every turn or direction change, the volume of my music would lower but the TBT directions were not audible.

When I listened more closely, I could make out a VERY low volume of TBT directions when Apple Maps was in use. When using CarPlay, it comes through very softly on the front left speaker. I was thinking that some Apple engineer thought of a good idea - let's just have TBT directions come through the driver's side speaker! But, if an intentional idea, it didn't go through very good QA testing.

After noticing the low volume issue with TBT, I later noticed that when I wasn't using Apple Maps on my iPhone, the music wouldn't have any volume changes.

So here is what I've tried:

1. Confirmed that Apple Maps TBT volume was an issue with CarPlay via USB
  2. Confirmed that Apple Maps TBT volume was an issue with Bluetooth headset
  3. Confirmed that Apple Maps TBT volume WAS NOT an issue if not connected to USB or BT

That's right! Apple Maps DOES NOT have a TBT volume issue when the iPhone isn't connected to anything . . . it works fine when just using the iPhone's speaker.

In speaking with Apple Support, I confirmed that this is not a currently known Apple Maps issue. Aside from the normal support suggestions like "turning the iPhone off & on", they could only suggest doing a hard reset. Given some custom settings I have to have on my iPhone, I am not eager to reset and re-sync things.

I also have no backup to restore because I didn't want to restore my iPhone 7 to my new iPhone X, bringing over any artifacts from a two years of hard core iPhone usage. I essentially had a new iPhone X which I updated to iOS 11.3 within 4 weeks of purchase.

So the next steps I am considering:

1. Use Apple Maps on my iPhone X without connecting to USB or BT
  2. "Borrowing" my wife's new iPhone X to see if she has the above Maps issues
  3. If my wife's iPhone X also has the USB & BT issues with Maps, I will do a hard reset on her iPhone.

I appreciate those who read through my verbose post.

After searching the communities, the Web and talking to Apple, I am at a loss for other suggestions. My 30 years in IT says that it's the iOS 11.3 update - but while it may be a major issue for me, I'm worried it may be a minor issue for others. Hence, Apple may not get any feedback if I'm the only one noticing this.

Any insightful advice from a fellow Apple FanBoy or Girl?

Thanks.

-Bob

iPhone X, iOS 11.3, Apple Maps

Posted on Apr 11, 2018 6:46 PM

Similar questions

There are no replies.

Apple Maps Turn By Turn Volume Problem with iOS 11.3 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.