Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SKY Q ROUTER + AIRPORT TIME CAPSULE

Hullo!

I live in the UK and USED to have a BT standard broadband router in to which I had plugged (by ethernet) my Airport Time Capsule. I used the Wireless Network provided by the TC for all my devices at home (HomePod, WeMo Switches etc.) and connected to the net on my iPad + iPhone via the TC and... all worked perfectly.

I have recently switched over to SKY and taken the Sky Fibre Broadband package (Sky Fibre MAX) which comes with a new Sky Q Router. The new broadband line went "live" today and I connected my new Sky Q Router and access to the internet is working perfectly. I then plugged (by ethernet) my Airport Time Capsule in to a spare Ethernet Port on the Sky Q Router and the internet "hung" and the wireless light on the Sky Q Router was flashing amber.

As soon as I removed the TC from the router the internet worked perfectly.

Does anyone know if there are issues with connectivity with the Sky Q Router and an attached Apple Airport Time Capsule and how I might get round this problem??

I have about 20+ devices attached (wirelessly) to my TC and it will take ages to redirect them to the new Sky Q Router. I am also unsure how I will back up my 2 x iMacs + 1 x MacBook to the TC if it is not working with the new Sky Q Router.

Any tips / work arounds will be very gratefully received!

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Rob

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Apr 12, 2018 3:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2018 5:01 PM

You can use the same name and password for the wireless network on the Time Capsule that you used before......so you won't have to redirect all of your WiFi devices to a "new" WiFi network.

As far as resets, be sure to perform a Hard Reset, or a Factory Default Reset on the Time Capsule before you set it up again.

Post back if you need more tips on the setup.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2018 5:01 PM in response to Green, Bob

You can use the same name and password for the wireless network on the Time Capsule that you used before......so you won't have to redirect all of your WiFi devices to a "new" WiFi network.

As far as resets, be sure to perform a Hard Reset, or a Factory Default Reset on the Time Capsule before you set it up again.

Post back if you need more tips on the setup.

Apr 12, 2018 4:55 PM in response to Green, Bob

I then plugged (by ethernet) my Airport Time Capsule in to a spare Ethernet Port on the Sky Q Router and the internet "hung" and the wireless light on the Sky Q Router was flashing amber.

Whenever you change the "modem" or router to which the AirPort Time Capsule connects.....or....you change Internet providers, you must reset the Time Capsule back to default settings and then set it up again.....so that it can pick up the new correct settings that it needs from your new provider and equipment.

Your post did not indicate whether you had reset the Time Capsule, but a guess would be that you have not......which would explain the difficulties that you are experiencing.

Can you clarify on that, please?

Apr 14, 2018 4:28 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi - BINGO! It worked.

One thing I did find out (NOTE for SKY BROADBAND USERS) that you CANNOT use POWERLINE ADAPTORS with a Sky Q Router as a means of attaching it to an Apple TC. I tried to connect the Sky Q Router to my Apple Time Capsule in another room using Powerline Adaptors and it crashed/hung the Sky Q Router. As soon as I detached the Powerline Adaptors from the Sky Q Router it reset and all was well.

I then moved the TC in the same room as the Sky Q Router and connected it directly in to the back of the Sky Q Router using an ethernet cable and all worked 100% ok. I also did a Factory Reset on the TC as suggested as I had just switched to a new ISP.

All is good and thanks for your help!

Rob

SKY Q ROUTER + AIRPORT TIME CAPSULE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.