Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

4k Apple TV causes Screen Flickering

I have the new Apple TV 4k which I bought in December last year.

I have a problem that the TV flickers every now and then. First I thought it might be the TV but I do not have the problem when I watch normal TV. When it flickers the screen gets rather bright for about 1second.

I was wondering whether anyone has the same problem and whether anyone has a resolution for this problem.

I attached a short some photos which might help to explain what I mean. The first photo is the normal look of the scene. A video would make more sense but I couldn't attach one.

User uploaded file

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

User uploaded file

Apple TV 4K, iOS 11.3

Posted on Apr 13, 2018 10:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2018 10:57 AM

Hi Oliver,

I see that you're experiencing some intermittent screen flickering when viewing content on your Apple TV 4K. I can certainly see how this could become distracting while watching movies or TV shows on your device, and I'm happy to provide you with some guidance.

It's possible that this occasional flickering may be the result of a new Apple TV 4K feature called dynamic range matching. This flickering may occur as your Television switches between formats. Take a look at the article below for more information including how to disable this feature if you currently have it enabled.

Learn more

When you use content matching, your television switches dynamic range and frame rate based on the content you’re watching. You may experience a blank screen or flickering as your television switches between formats.

About frame rate and dynamic range matching on Apple TV - Apple Support
Take care.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 14, 2018 10:57 AM in response to oliver007

Hi Oliver,

I see that you're experiencing some intermittent screen flickering when viewing content on your Apple TV 4K. I can certainly see how this could become distracting while watching movies or TV shows on your device, and I'm happy to provide you with some guidance.

It's possible that this occasional flickering may be the result of a new Apple TV 4K feature called dynamic range matching. This flickering may occur as your Television switches between formats. Take a look at the article below for more information including how to disable this feature if you currently have it enabled.

Learn more

When you use content matching, your television switches dynamic range and frame rate based on the content you’re watching. You may experience a blank screen or flickering as your television switches between formats.

About frame rate and dynamic range matching on Apple TV - Apple Support
Take care.

Apr 16, 2018 2:21 AM in response to raina_b22

Thank you for your reply. I have that flickering which is described in your recommended article when the apply tv switches on or when a movie starts. But the flickering I experiences is during a movie where no changes of a frame rates are happening.

Anyway I appreciate your help on that.

I called Apple and we switched the Apple TV back to factory settings and restarted everything downloaded again the latest software etc.

So far this made the flickering go away. Lets see how long for.

Best wishes,

Oliver

4k Apple TV causes Screen Flickering

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.