Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Permissions on mac HD "read only", but work as read & write

Got a new computer (used), has an SSD as the main drive. I did a wipe and clean install of Sierra. When I "get info" on the Macintosh SSD, the ownership and permissions show 3 users: system, wheel, and guest. Nowhere does it show my actual admin username (although it does on my other internal drives).

It also says I have "read only" access, but I can clearly read and write to the drive, and have done so many times. Screenshot below from my main SSD, and also from another internal drive that shows proper users and permissions.

Is this anything to worry about? Should I try another wipe and clean install of the OSX? Everything is working, but I don't want to load up all my programs if I'm going to run into problems down the line or even if there's something wonky going on. I did a terminal command to repair permissions on the "home" folder and all was good, just fyi

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Mac Pro, iOS 10, 12 core 3.46ghz

Posted on Apr 13, 2018 4:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2018 4:44 PM

It's working properly. The settings in the first screenshot apply only to the top level of the drive, not anything inside it.

(159591)

Similar questions

1 reply

Permissions on mac HD "read only", but work as read & write

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.