Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i use a macbook air and was downloading high sierra.it got stuck on installation with a pitch black screen and it said installatin about 30 minutes remaining.it has been 6 hours now but it still there.can someone help me?

i am using a macbook air and was updating a high sierra on it.

during installation it suddenly gets stuck on a pitch black screen with the apple logo and said installation about 30 minutes left.for the past 6 hours it still there.

can someone help me?

MacBook Air

Posted on Apr 16, 2018 7:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2018 8:59 AM

Press and hold down the Power button until the computer shuts down - 10-20 seconds. Restart the computer and see if it will pick up the installation where it was stuck. If it does not pick up then,

1. Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  3. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list.
  4. Click on the First Aid icon in the toolbar. Wait until the Done button activates, then click on it.
  5. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  6. Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2018 8:59 AM in response to urvi04

Press and hold down the Power button until the computer shuts down - 10-20 seconds. Restart the computer and see if it will pick up the installation where it was stuck. If it does not pick up then,

1. Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  3. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list.
  4. Click on the First Aid icon in the toolbar. Wait until the Done button activates, then click on it.
  5. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  6. Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

i use a macbook air and was downloading high sierra.it got stuck on installation with a pitch black screen and it said installatin about 30 minutes remaining.it has been 6 hours now but it still there.can someone help me?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.