Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Java is being blocked by Safari 11.3

Greetings,

I hope someone smarter than me can assist me in a issue I having with Java!

I am trying to use Medtronic's Diabetes Carelink application to upload my glucose meter data to Medtronic Carelink's website for my doctor to view. I am able to log in fine to the website and I see the appropriate tabs. The issues is when I click on "Upload" tab from their web base application, which uses Java, and I get "The Java Plug-in is being blocked due to browser security settings." I have troubleshoot the issue until I am ready to go back to a Windows PC because of the latest Apple's headaches that their updates have caused me. I am currently using a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15 inch, Late 2013) notebook with all the bell and whistles on it.

I am using the latest macOS which is macOS High Sierra version 10.13.4 with Safari Version 11.1 (13605.1.33.1.2). I am also using the latest Java, Version 8 Update 161 with the Enable Java content for browser Web Start applications box checked, and also added https://carelink.minimed.com to the Exception site list. I even went into Safari's Preference, Websites, and under Plug-ins, I have Java checked and the current open websites set to On. which is https://carelink.minimed.com added to Java Allow websites to use this plug-in with the setting below. I have restarted my computer, and even restored security prompts in Java. I Googled for a solution but it keep referencing me to old Safari 10.x solutions using Preference, Security, and enable Java plug-in there, but I don't see the enable Java plug-in in Safari Version 11.1. I have included screenshots to help visualize what I went over here in case I overlooked some security setting. I hope someone can help me before I give up and go back to the dark side of a windows PC. Thanks for anyone that can help me with a solution!

Below Screen Shots:

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on Apr 16, 2018 6:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2018 1:12 PM

Finally the solution to my issue, and it came from Medtronic Technical Support. Those of you using a Medtronic pump and who have a MacBook and running MacOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and using Safari 11.x and Java plug-in; here is the solution in getting pass that nasty error "The Java Plug-in is being blocked due to browser security settings." when clicking on "UPLOAD".

I am visual person when it comes to following instruction, so I am including visuals on how to fix the error I had.

1. Go to Safari, Preferences...

User uploaded file

2. Go to Websites

User uploaded file

3. Find Java Plug-ins and single click on Java until it highlighted.

User uploaded file

3. Press the Options Key and continue to hold it.

User uploaded file

4. While the Options Key is held down, click blue up/down arrows.User uploaded fileon the right side of "Carelink.minimed.com

5. Next you will see a box with Ask, Off, and On and then "Run in Safe Mode" click "Run in Safe Mode."

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

6. You should see a box asking you to Trust. Click on Trust.

User uploaded file

6. You should see a black caution triangle with a explanation mark inside it once you have click on Run in Safe Mode and return to the main menu.

7. For some reason mine had "ASK" box set to on, which is fine but after you perform step 6, and make sure you select "ON" next to "Carelink.minimed.com"

User uploaded file

8. Close Safari and open https://Carelink.minimed.com and you should be set to go. Good Luck folks! This is sure a keeper for future application issue that give me this error.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2018 1:12 PM in response to rcodyapple

Finally the solution to my issue, and it came from Medtronic Technical Support. Those of you using a Medtronic pump and who have a MacBook and running MacOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and using Safari 11.x and Java plug-in; here is the solution in getting pass that nasty error "The Java Plug-in is being blocked due to browser security settings." when clicking on "UPLOAD".

I am visual person when it comes to following instruction, so I am including visuals on how to fix the error I had.

1. Go to Safari, Preferences...

User uploaded file

2. Go to Websites

User uploaded file

3. Find Java Plug-ins and single click on Java until it highlighted.

User uploaded file

3. Press the Options Key and continue to hold it.

User uploaded file

4. While the Options Key is held down, click blue up/down arrows.User uploaded fileon the right side of "Carelink.minimed.com

5. Next you will see a box with Ask, Off, and On and then "Run in Safe Mode" click "Run in Safe Mode."

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

6. You should see a box asking you to Trust. Click on Trust.

User uploaded file

6. You should see a black caution triangle with a explanation mark inside it once you have click on Run in Safe Mode and return to the main menu.

7. For some reason mine had "ASK" box set to on, which is fine but after you perform step 6, and make sure you select "ON" next to "Carelink.minimed.com"

User uploaded file

8. Close Safari and open https://Carelink.minimed.com and you should be set to go. Good Luck folks! This is sure a keeper for future application issue that give me this error.

Apr 16, 2018 7:25 PM in response to rcodyapple

Try restarting Safari with the shift key held down. Try going to Safari/Preferences/Websites and uncheck all Plug-ins. Quit and reopen Safari. If Safari works normally, recheck them one at a time until you find the problem. Quit and reopen Safari after checking each one.

If the above doesn't work, go to your hard drive level Library/Internet Plug-ins and move them to the Desktop. Restart Safari. If that works, copy the Desktop files back one at a time until you find the problem.

If still no luck, make your user Library visible and repeat the above. Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library/Internet Plug-ins.

Java is being blocked by Safari 11.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.