Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 14.1 Enable Javascript is broken

I just updated from Mojave to Catalina and subsequently to Safari 14.1. Now, any web site that uses Javascript, for example Wells Fargo, will not work. The page will load briefly, then the window goes blank except for a message "A problem repeatedly occurred with https://www.wellsfargo.com. "

If I open Safari preferences, go to Security and uncheck Enable Javascript, then the web page will load, but at the top displays a message, "We're sorry, but some features of our site require JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your browser and refresh the page."

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 29, 2021 8:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2021 8:45 PM

DanielleM182: Yes, I had already tried all the standard stuff and more. The only thing that worked:

1. Make a Time Machine backup on an external drive.
  2. Start up in Recovery mode.
  3. Erase the internal drive and re-install Catalina on the blank disk.
  4. Use Migration Assistant to import from the external Time Machine backup, being sure to uncheck Applications, to avoid re-installing Safari 14.1.
  5. When M.A. was done, installed the latest Catalina security update, and Safari 14.0.3, which works fine. Interestingly, SW Update did not recommend Safari 14.1 as an update.
  6. Mount my external Time Machine drive, open the backup manually through the Finder (not with Enter Time Machine), and copy back all the remaining applications, leaving out Safari.

I'm now using 10.15.7 and Safari 14.0.3 and so far, so good!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2021 8:45 PM in response to DanielleM182

DanielleM182: Yes, I had already tried all the standard stuff and more. The only thing that worked:

1. Make a Time Machine backup on an external drive.
  2. Start up in Recovery mode.
  3. Erase the internal drive and re-install Catalina on the blank disk.
  4. Use Migration Assistant to import from the external Time Machine backup, being sure to uncheck Applications, to avoid re-installing Safari 14.1.
  5. When M.A. was done, installed the latest Catalina security update, and Safari 14.0.3, which works fine. Interestingly, SW Update did not recommend Safari 14.1 as an update.
  6. Mount my external Time Machine drive, open the backup manually through the Finder (not with Enter Time Machine), and copy back all the remaining applications, leaving out Safari.

I'm now using 10.15.7 and Safari 14.0.3 and so far, so good!

Safari 14.1 Enable Javascript is broken

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.