Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.7.4 Photo Sync Issue, Win 7

Has anyone experienced any issues with syncing photos to an iPhone X with iOS 11.3 with a Windows 7 computer? I've always synced photos with my devices through iTunes, and for some reason after this latest update, I've experienced problems. I was doing an iTunes backup of my iPhone, which I do occasionally in addition to the iCloud backups I do daily. I noticed that Photo sync was unchecked when I connected the phone, however all of my photos still existed on the phone. When I attempted the backup/sync, it gets to a step "Reading Photos" and it seems to stay there forever. So, I rechecked photos, then unchecked and it asked if I wanted to delete the photos, I said Yes, and they were deleted. I attempted to sync them back and iTunes got stuck again. I restarted the phone and the computer, and iTunes and tried just syncing a small folder of just 7 photos. It stuck at Reading photos again.

I guess my next step is to remove iTunes and install again, but I wanted to see if anyone else had experienced a similar issue before I continue. Thanks in advance.

iPhone X, iOS 11.3, 64GB Silver

Posted on Apr 17, 2018 10:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2018 11:06 AM

As noted this seems to be a general issue with iTunes 12.7.4.76.

To roll back to iTunes 12.7.3.46 see the iTunes installers section of Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates for direct download links and advice on reverting to a pre-upgrade copy of your library. You lose the changes made to the library since you installed 12.7.4.76. You can add the media folder to the library to catch new additions.

tt2

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2018 11:06 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

As noted this seems to be a general issue with iTunes 12.7.4.76.

To roll back to iTunes 12.7.3.46 see the iTunes installers section of Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates for direct download links and advice on reverting to a pre-upgrade copy of your library. You lose the changes made to the library since you installed 12.7.4.76. You can add the media folder to the library to catch new additions.

tt2

Apr 19, 2018 11:04 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks. I just read this, been a little under the weather in the last couple of days. I tried removing and reinstalling iTunes, as I had to update iTunes to get it to work with iOS 11.3. I can let it sit for now. I've updated my iPhone X and my iPad, but was able to make the photos sync one time, and one time only by removing the iPod Photo Cache folder in my Photos library, and making sure that I synced all folders I wished to sync at once. If I synced one folder and then tried to sync another, it wouldn't work. Hope they get it taken care of. Hard enough to deal with the app access issue with iTunes. Going to go ahead and post feedback again. I posted once.

Thanks tt2 for your advice and help.

Apr 19, 2018 3:01 PM in response to turingtest2

Another interesting situation. I just got my wife another phone, and I took her old iPhone 5S and updated it, and restored it to factory. After turning everything off for iCloud, I connected it to my laptop, which does not have my regular iTunes library, etc.. I tried to sync a Photo folder, and when to the Photos tab, and was able to select Sync in the photos tab, and also select the folder I wanted to try. I clicked Sync and it backed up the phone first, then reported that iCloud Photos was on, which it wasn't. However checking the phone, the folder had synced. Unplugging the phone, closing and restarting iTunes, deleting the iPod Photo Cache folder on the computer, restarting phone, connecting again, and it will still report that iCloud Photo is on. Seems there really is a code problem in iTunes, since this is what is showing now!!

Apr 29, 2018 9:55 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Are they really aware? Is it worth rolling back to an older version of iTunes that may not work with a newer version of iOS? I hope someone is really working on this - my phone sits for 6 or more hours while I work and never gets past “stage 4 of 5 reading photos from library”. I’ve not had a successful sync in 2 weeks

Apr 30, 2018 7:09 AM in response to Jodyar

I eventually got all of my photo folders to resync, but it took days and just leaving the device connected. I had to do it using the select folders, and then just a few folders at a time - never more that 200-300 photos. Not ideal, but it had erased all of my photos previously when I tried the various fixes recommended. Hope they resolve the issue soon. Fortunately, I do not sync to my desktop that often.

Jun 5, 2018 8:32 PM in response to neonn471

I just did the most recent update in iTunes today and still nothing. This is so frustrating, it’s been 3.5 months of it not working! Apple support was zero help. I still have an open case with them and THEY will not return my phone calls. I have literally tried EVERYTHING. I just want my photos and videos back on my phone otherwise this phone is such a waste. I’m stuck with a brand new iPhone X with all these gb and it is now useless. I just want this issue resolved ASAP.

iTunes 12.7.4 Photo Sync Issue, Win 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.