Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iPad and Clips and Apple Store Apps won’t update

Just got a new iPad and set it up from a back-up. The App Store app has a “2” in the red notifications bubble, and when I click on it, the Clips and Apple Store apps say they have updatates. However, when I click the “update” bubble, the bubble turns to a circle and spins for one second (like they’re about to start updating), but then the bubble turns back to “Update” and nothing updates. I have tried closing the App Store and reopening, restarting the iPad, and updating all. No resolution. Anyone have success fixing this? Thanks!

iPad Wi-Fi, iOS 11.3

Posted on Apr 18, 2018 5:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2018 5:31 PM

Try the help in this Apple support article > If you can’t download or update apps, or if apps get stuck - Apple Support

38 replies

May 30, 2018 9:36 PM in response to owen266

Thank you so much for following up and posting the detail about opening the apps first and then updating them. I just spent two hours googling, updating iOS, resetting network settings, resetting router cable modem wireless without any effect. I’m a 25 year veteran in network consulting and that additional effort you made to come back to the forum and post the real answer made my night! Thanks again!

Jul 19, 2018 5:06 PM in response to bari.steele

#EDIT: Just realised it had already been answered, ha ha ha!

This was happening on my new iPhone 7, the update was available in the store, but clicking it spun the circle and returned to Update.

I fixed it by opening Clips (never opened it before) and after it's introduction video, a popup prompted me to Update, I clicked the App Store button on the prompt and it allowed me to install.

Hope this helps you!

Aug 25, 2018 5:52 AM in response to owen266

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! Your post was back in May and its almost September and Apple hasn't implemented any kind of fix as I contacted support and they walked me through everything but this easy fix. I got my iPhone 8 last Monday and have been trying to update those 2 apps since. followed all googled instructions contacted support. Thx again

Nov 25, 2018 12:59 PM in response to Skypalace

Found a workaround, but still no Clips icon, it’s totally missing.

I launched it through Siri “Hey Siri Launch Clips”. Siri said I didnt have an app named Clips, but then launched it. After watching the intro video I was able to update.

Still no icon, and now Siri won’t launch either (same error about no app named Clips but now wont launch it). I can find it in App Store and Open from there. Icon shows in list of last 3 apps launched but can’t drag the icon to an empty page.

Nov 27, 2018 3:25 PM in response to bari.steele

I had this problem with two apps - Clips and Apple Store - and the normal reboot etc advice didn't work for me for months now. I just solved this by going into each of the apps and the first or second screen to come up in both was one that said there was a new version and I should update. Clicking on the <update> button took me back to the App Store and this time when I clicked on the update button next to the app, it actually updated.

Dec 8, 2018 3:03 PM in response to owen266

When I tried this solution, I began with the Apple Store app. When I opened it, the app notified me that it needed to be updated and prompted me to do so inside the app. Once done, I went back to app updates and Clips allowed me to update it from there without opening it first.

Thanks for this solution - it fixed this annoying problem for me.

Dec 9, 2018 4:33 AM in response to bari.steele

Open the CLIPS app, which will prompt you to update at the App store. Select that. CLIPS updates. Then go back to the App Store and the App Store app will update OK.

Credit to earlier to post, but wanted to add that updating CLIPS seemed to free up App Store updating of App Store.

As for Apple: Never confuse wealth with intelligence. Apple has

lots of one and too little of the other.

New iPad and Clips and Apple Store Apps won’t update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.