Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicktime Error in High Sierra

Just a couple of days ago my .m4v movie files won't open in Quicktime.

I am getting the unknown error (1718449215).

Can anyone help me with this?

I have a lot of movies that played fine before and now nothing.

Please help!

ThanksUser uploaded file

iPhone 6, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Apr 19, 2018 6:16 PM

14 replies

Apr 23, 2018 10:21 AM in response to fcarranza

these movies do play in itunes, but not quicktime.

Since this behavior is compatible with the known AC3 non-surround (mono/binaural/stereo) audio codec conflict under High Sierra, the first step is to determine if the issue is associated with the file(s) or the system configuration. Agree with Urquhart1244 that a sample file should be tested on a different platform also running under High Sierra but which is already known to be "properly" configured with regard to the suspected issue and solution. Therefore, if you have a short/small sample file available, recommend you post it online for download, examination and testing by others here who are not experiencing this problem. Am assuming the sample file is one made by you using an app like HandBrake andcontains a non-surround AC3 audio track. Please advise if either/both of these assumptions is/are incorrect.

Tried removing both of those components and rebooted.

Unfortunately, at this point it is unclear which "QuickTime" folder(s) you modified. (I.e., there are multiple global/local "Library" folders possible depending on how you may have manually configured your system over time and/or what software you installed that may have "automatically" made changes.)

User uploaded file

Apr 24, 2018 12:05 PM in response to fcarranza

Here is the link to the sample file in question: Dropbox - The Post.m4v

Sorry! It appears someone decided to edit/remove the link's URL reference before I was able to download the file for examination. Looks like you'll have to perform the examination for yourself. Basically, you need to use either a video player app or a media utility app (e.g., MediaInfo or the QT7 Pro "Properties" window) to confirm whether your M4V files contain an AC3 audio track. (Unfortunately, some apps—e.g., VLC—misidentify AC3 audio as "surround" even when it is encoded as stereo.) If so, check to see if those files with 5.1 surround sound load/play correctly but those with non-surround (mono, binaural or stereo) audio refuse to open. If your files are following such a pattern, then it would seem you still have a codec conflict at work. If not, then your issue is probably something else.

I didn't use handbrake to make this file.

Used HandBrake merely as an example since you did not mention what workflow was used to create your files. (I.e. HandBrake is free, very popular, and, by default normally adds a secondary AC3 audio track to M4V outputs when using the higher quality presets.)

I removed the components from the following location: Macintosh HD>Library>Quicktime

Believe that is the correct global add-on target folder as opposed to the "~/System/Library/QuickTime" folder that contains the system installed codecs. However, did you also check your local user "Library/QuickTime" folders to ensure no latent/active codecs are installed that might create conflicts?

I also noticed when I did a Get Info on the file I got a message:.. Neve seen that message before.

Have never seen this message either and am confused as to why it refers to QL (QuickLook) rather than the QT (QuickTime) app/structure use.

Let me know your thoughts.

Without actually seeing the file, long-distanace diagnosis is often little more than a guessing game.

User uploaded file

Apr 24, 2018 2:28 PM in response to Jon Walker

Follow-Up To Previous Post:

I stand corrected. While the "host" did edit your online post link, I did receive a valid URL via email. After reviewing your file, it appears your issue is not due to the suspected "simple" AC3 codec conflict. File contains both AAC and AC3 5.1 audio tracks, previewed online without issue (audio unknown) and plays in iTunes (AAC, AC3 to DD PLII and AC3 pass-through), QTX (AC3 to DD PLII and AAC), QL (AC3 to DD PLII) and VLC (AAC, AC3 to DD PLII and AC3 pass-through). The only potential problem I saw was your use of the AC3 audio track as the primary/active audio track which can create an issue with "legacy" media players like QT 7 and older iOS devices which do not support AC3 audio natively.

Am now wondering if the problem is due to recent changes made to the High Sierra macOS—i.e., it now seems to have adopted the software AC3 support previously added to the TV (4th Gen and later) and to most recent iOS software. It would be interesting to know if the current automatic conversion of AC3 DD5.1 audio to DD PLII is now creating an AC3 codec conflict (assuming you still have an "unfound" AC3 codec installed on your system). Suggest you compare playing and non-playing M4V files to see if files using AC3 as the secondary/passive audio track are still playing normally in QT X while those having AC3 audio as the primary/active audio track are no longer loading and playing. If so, it would explain why your files initially played normally after updating to High Sierra and then stopped playing following the latest update. (I.e., Assume you're now operating under macOS v10.3.4 at this time.) Please report back regarding results of audio track test comparisons.)

User uploaded file

Apr 24, 2018 7:27 PM in response to fcarranza

Here is what I have in System>Library:...

Looks about the same as mine...

User uploaded file

Most add-on A/V codec components are in the "~/Library/QuickTime" folder. Here is what I've got:

User uploaded file

Didn't find a library folder under my user name.

The User "Library" folder is hidden. Try opening the Finder "Go" menu (while signed in to your user account) and holding down the "Option" key. You should then be able to select the "Library" option. Here is what's in mine with the Perian Preference Pane when the codec package is removed (disabled) under High Sierra v10.3.4:

User uploaded file

Unfortunately, AC3 (or A52) codecs can also be place in various global or local "Library/Audio/Plug-ins" and/or "Library/Audio/Plug-ins/Components" folders as seen below:

User uploaded file

Not sure how to do the audio track info part.

I did find out the following:

QT7, plays but no audio

Flip4Mac, plays but no audio

VLC plays and has audio.

I normally use the QT 7 Pro Properties window, MediaInfo or Subler apps to check this as seen below:

User uploaded file

QT 7 Pro

User uploaded file

MediaInfo

User uploaded file

Subler

And then used Subler to to change the default audio track from the AC3 DD5.1 to the AAC audio track as seen below:

User uploaded file

Unfortunately, I can't test the file on my system. If you want, you can test this version on your system by holding down the "Option" key while clicking on the link. Preliminary tests seem to indicate the file still may default to the first audio track in certain apps despite the change in default setting. If still not working try using your workflow to generate a 1-2 minute test file with AC3 and AAC audio tracks reversed so that the AAC audio is saved to the first audio track in the file.

User uploaded file

Apr 20, 2018 11:22 AM in response to fcarranza

“There appears to be a conflict between High Sierra's built-in AC3 codec and third-party AC3 codec support that prevents any file containing 2-channel/stereo AC3 audio from opening/loading under High Sierra.”

See /Library/QuickTime/ for older third party audio codecs, like AC3MovieImport.component and Perian.component, and move those temporarily elsewhere, out of that folder. Reboot and try again.

Apr 24, 2018 12:05 AM in response to Jon Walker

Here is the link to the sample file in question: Dropbox - The Post.m4v

I didn't use handbrake to make this file. I removed the components from the following location: Macintosh HD>Library>Quicktime

I also noticed when I did a Get Info on the file I got a message:User uploaded file

Neve seen that message before.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

[Link Edited by Host]

Apr 22, 2018 8:58 PM in response to fcarranza

These movies do play in iTunes, but not Quicktime.

That is weird. I would have thought that iTunes would use QuickTime to play files, and therefore would produce the same error, if any, possibly with a bit more restrictions to formats than QTP.

Does the same apply for another user on your system? (Create a new user in User & Groups and switch to that user and try to playback the file. Make sure the file is somewhere where both users can access it.) If another user can play the file, then the issue is localized to something in the user settings for the original user. If not, then the issue is likely system-wide, and may need a different problem solving approach.

Is the file DRM'ed, e.g. from the iTunes Store, tied to your ID, or is it something more unrestricted? The former could be easily downloaded again (start with one, to see if anything changes); the latter would point to a different class of issues.

Does it happen to all mov/mp4/m4v files, or some mov/mp4/m4v files? I.e. have you found exceptions? If some, then do you know if there is a commonality between all those files that produce the error?

Can you play this file on another Mac with High Sierra, or can you ask someone to play one such file for you? Can the error be reproduced on another system?

Apr 23, 2018 3:58 PM in response to Urquhart1244

I created a new user and received the same error. I do have some .m4v files that do play in Quicktime while others do not. This make no sense to me because they were all playing fine a few weeks ago. I'm thinking I may do a restore when the files were playing fine. I do experience times where Quicktime doesn't want to quit and I have to force quit the program. And some of those times force quit will not work.

Quicktime Error in High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.