Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External display problem after OS10.13.4 upgrade

At the start of March I bought a new Asus MX27U external display, specifically because I could connect it directly to my MacBook Pro via USB-C and it would charge my Mac at the same time. It worked perfectly.

Then 2 weeks ago I updated to OS10.13.4. The first time I connected to the display after that, the screen stayed black and it displayed ‘No connection USB-C’. The display is sensing a connection, because the light on the underside slowly alternates red and white. The Mac knows it is connected: the display shows in Display Preferences and can be set up to mirror, but still nothing appears on the display.

My Internet research has shown this to be a known issue, the OS update having disabled many external displays. Often this is when people are using an adaptor, and it appears that the update has disabled DisplayPort drivers - DisplayPort says it is working with Apple on a fix. However, I was connecting the Mac directly, not via an adaptor.

So, I tried connected to the display through HDMI, using an adaptor, since my Mac only has USB-C ports. This worked fine, but every 15-30 minutes my Mac would freeze. This seems independent of what app I am in at the time - although it was most commonly when I was using Mail, this is my most frequently used app.

My Internet research showed this to be a recognised issue when connected to external displays too!

I tried all the possible remedies I could find on the web (although all of these were for earlierproblems - no-one online has yet found a solution to the display issues created by the latest upgrade) and none worked. I also reset the SMC.

I contacted Asus support, and received this reply.

The monitor drivers do not come from our side, for TYPE-C ALT DP mode displays

The port should natively support it, so I am unsure what has changed

As we do not have 'drvers' perse for the monitors

We will however forward this, in case we have a work around or are able to do anything

We would also check with Apple - as it seems to be an issue for many vendors

I then had a web chat with an Apple advisor. He screen shared, sent me an app to upload a system report to Apple, and booked me in for an appointment at the Genius Bar. I attended the appointment this week, and they could not diagnose the problem or find a solution. Using my USB-C cable, an Acer display in the store worked fine. They looked at system reports and could see the kernel panics from when my Mac crashed, but were still none the wiser.

So, I am screwed. I bought a fabulous screen for £1,000 that I now can’t use. Apple does not even acknowledge that the latest update has created an issue. And I am caught in a no-man’s land between Asus and Apple with no prospect of a solution.

Please can someone help?

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, 2 TBT3), macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on Apr 20, 2018 7:12 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

External display problem after OS10.13.4 upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.