Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What USB hub would be recommended for compatibility?

I have been trying to figure out some computer issues for a while, and it looks like a lot of the issues I am having are caused by the current USB hub I use. It is most likely a compatibility issue, and I wonder if it was not designed for complex devices. My laptop only has two USB ports, but I need more for my drawing monitor, external hard drive, and mouse. And I think from a previous discussions, there was talk about it not being safe to connect an external hard drive to a USB hub that has a power adapter. So my question is, what would be the right hub for this type of compatibility, and would there be anything extra I would need?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Apr 20, 2018 7:57 AM

2 replies

Apr 20, 2018 10:25 AM in response to BriVester

And I think from a previous discussions, there was talk about it not being safe to connect an external hard drive to a USB hub that has a power adapter.

I do not believe that concern is justified.

So my question is, what would be the right hub for this type of compatibility, and would there be anything extra I would need?

I am not aware of any USB hubs, powered or unpowered, that do not work. They only recommendation I have is to search for reviews from those specifically using Macs. Since I have a number of hubs from a number of vendors I don't particularly favor any one over any others.

Apr 20, 2018 1:20 PM in response to John Galt

I do not believe that concern is justified.

This was a while ago. It could be that the person was mistaken.

I am not aware of any USB hubs, powered or unpowered, that do not work.

Well the main reason I ask is because I've had three USB hubs which all had compatibility issues. The first two were non-powered, and then it was recommended that I should get one that is powered, but then even that didn't work out. I also noticed that from some reviews on Amazon, there are hubs that didn't support some devices and one only lasted a year and then gave out. So I'm in a bit of pickle.

What USB hub would be recommended for compatibility?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.