Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Wipe Hard Drive with broken display

I have an old Macbook, purchased in 2007 or 2008 and replaced in 2013 due to a non-functioning display. (Unknown OSX version, but most likely the latest available when the display broke in 2013). I want to wipe the hard drive before I take it in for recycling, but the display does not function (remains black). How can I wipe a hard drive when the display is not functioning?

MacBook, non-functioning display

Posted on

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

It's relatively easy to remove the battery, remove a couple screws, and pull out the hard drive. If you're disposing of the laptop altogether, I'd just keep the hard drive myself for extra storage/secondary use etc. if I were you. External SATA to USB enclosures are pretty cheap, for example.

Removing hard drive:

[Link Edited by Host]

Posted on

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Question marked as Apple Recommended

Apr 28, 2018 12:13 PM in response to air.rock In response to air.rock

If you have another Mac handy, you can use Target Disk Mode from the working Mac to access the drive on the one that is not.

Ref: How to use target disk mode to move files to another computer - Apple Support

Apr 28, 2018 12:13 PM

Reply Helpful (1)
Question marked as Solved

Apr 30, 2018 4:14 PM in response to air.rock In response to air.rock

It's relatively easy to remove the battery, remove a couple screws, and pull out the hard drive. If you're disposing of the laptop altogether, I'd just keep the hard drive myself for extra storage/secondary use etc. if I were you. External SATA to USB enclosures are pretty cheap, for example.

Removing hard drive:

[Link Edited by Host]

Apr 30, 2018 4:14 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Apr 28, 2018 12:34 PM in response to FifesAndClarions In response to FifesAndClarions

Thanks, I never knew a laptop hard drive was so easy to remove. Utilizing it as an external drive (cost under $10 for the enclosure) is something I never considered. Your advice, while not specific to my original question, was very much appreciated.

Apr 28, 2018 12:34 PM

Reply Helpful

Apr 28, 2018 1:41 PM in response to air.rock In response to air.rock

Cheers, it just seemed like much effort to ultimately throw away. Of course it's only possible with these older laptops as newer offerings are all practically soldered up. You could also keep the RAM fyi, though I don't know if you'd have any use for what is probably DDR2 & on the smaller side.

Apr 28, 2018 1:41 PM

Reply Helpful

Apr 30, 2018 3:42 PM in response to air.rock In response to air.rock

air.rock wrote:

Thanks, I never knew a laptop hard drive was so easy to remove. Utilizing it as an external drive (cost under $10 for the enclosure) is something I never considered. Your advice, while not specific to my original question, was very much appreciated.

There are variations on SATA to USB/FW adapters. Some are barebones without a case for the drive, like this one:

USB 3.0 to SATA Adapter Cable - UASP-enabled | HDD Adapters | StarTech.com

However, the drive removal process for those MacBook models is ridiculously easy, and Apple considers it to be a DIY job with published instructions publicly available from Apple:

https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/0/MA161/en_US/MacBook_13inch_HardDrive_DI Y.pdf

The only thing they don't have in the instructions are the tools needed - either #0 or #00 Phillips screwdriver for the "RAM door", and a T-8 Torx screwdriver/bit to remove (and possibly reinstall) the drive "sled". It usually won't fit in a drive enclosure with the sled still attached, although it won't matter with a barebones adapter that just plugs in. So you had all the tools you needed to do this?

Apr 30, 2018 3:42 PM

Reply Helpful

May 1, 2018 3:17 PM in response to y_p_w In response to y_p_w

y_p_w wrote:

FifesAndClarions wrote:

y_p_w wrote:

So you had all the tools you needed to do this?

Reading from air.rock's post above, it appears yes.

Sure. Most people wouldn't have a T-8 Torx screwdriver though.

I did have all the tools, I got them as a gift many years ago from a secret Santa. 17 attachments plus the handle and case, and this is the first time I've ever used anything other than a small flathead attachment to tighten the screws on my glasses.

May 1, 2018 3:17 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: air.rock

Question: Wipe Hard Drive with broken display