Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Upgrading Mac Mini without Apple ID

I bought an Mac Mini at a garage sale and reformatted it back to factory settings. It runs great but now want to go up to the latest OS which it asks for all the time but it wants an Apple ID before I can do this. Can I upgrade it without an Apple ID? I am going to sell it at some point so I don't want to get an Apple ID because I want the new user to personalize it for themselves. I don't want to lock down an Apple ID for myself.

Anyway to do this? I want to go to High Sierra.

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on

Question marked as Apple Recommended
Answer:
Answer:

PS: Note section #6 in the article instruction that covers part of your concern:

User uploaded file

Erase your hard drive and reinstall macOS

The best way to restore your Mac to factory settings is to erase your hard drive and reinstall macOS.

"After macOS installation is complete, the Mac restarts to a Welcome screen and asks you to choose

a country or region. IF you want to leave the Mac in an out-of-box state, don't continue with the setup

of your system. Instead, press Command-Q to shut down the Mac. When the new owner turns on the

Mac, setup assistant will guide them through the setup process."

..also to be found (as companion article to macOS Recovery ) here..

• How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Good luck & happy trails! 🙂

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

May 3, 2018 9:24 AM in response to forjonny In response to forjonny

You'll find all the answers in this article (basically, yes, you boot from internet recovery, wipe the drive using Disk Utility and when finished, let it reinstall the original OS). The reason for this is: anything downloaded from the app store is tied to your Apple ID and the license is not transferable. The new owner can update/upgrade using his own Apple ID.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201065

Note the key combos here to get to internet recovery:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Now, wasn't that easy......... 😉

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Apr 23, 2018 9:41 AM in response to Carolyn Samit In response to Carolyn Samit

Let me summarize the question to see if more people can answer it. Here we go: Can I upgrade my newly acquired recycled OSx on my Mac Mini without an Apple ID?

It would be nice to get a yes or no answer to this.
[Edited by Host]

Apr 23, 2018 9:41 AM

Reply Helpful

Apr 20, 2018 4:08 PM in response to forjonny In response to forjonny

An easy answer may not be detailed in circumstantial evidence to be correct.

• What to do before you sell or give away your Mac - Apple Support

Because we cannot say IF anything was done head of original owner's disposal

of this unit, to ready it for another happenstance recycle/reuser of the hardware.

So Yes is an easy answer when or if certain specific conditions have been met

or their probable consequences (if detrimental) have been ruled out. As it's an

older used machine, there is a chance that an Apple authorized service provider

could be able to install the original OS X; in order to set up and use it, usually

does require an Apple ID.

All software & security updates are downloads.

..To get & install them, requires an Apple ID..

User uploaded file

Apr 20, 2018 4:08 PM

Reply Helpful
Question marked as Apple Recommended

Apr 21, 2018 2:45 AM in response to K Shaffer In response to K Shaffer

PS: Note section #6 in the article instruction that covers part of your concern:

User uploaded file

Erase your hard drive and reinstall macOS

The best way to restore your Mac to factory settings is to erase your hard drive and reinstall macOS.

"After macOS installation is complete, the Mac restarts to a Welcome screen and asks you to choose

a country or region. IF you want to leave the Mac in an out-of-box state, don't continue with the setup

of your system. Instead, press Command-Q to shut down the Mac. When the new owner turns on the

Mac, setup assistant will guide them through the setup process."

..also to be found (as companion article to macOS Recovery ) here..

• How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Good luck & happy trails! 🙂

Apr 21, 2018 2:45 AM

Reply Helpful

Apr 27, 2018 10:11 PM in response to forjonny In response to forjonny

It doesn't matter if you enter your ID to simply upgrade and use it yourself. You're going to delete your account [i.e. wipe your hard drive] before selling it (I hope!) whenever that day comes.

I would enter the ID, upgrade up. Enjoy the machine.

Then, when you decide sell, DO follow the instructions above to make sure it is ready to sell, and you don't accidentally leave personal accounts/info/files on the system.

Apr 27, 2018 10:11 PM

Reply Helpful

Apr 29, 2018 5:41 PM in response to FifesAndClarions In response to FifesAndClarions

I don't have an Apple ID and don't want to get one. I don't do Apples. I do PCs. I have inherited an Apple Mini Mac with a large screen. I have already wiped it clean and went back to factory settings. Nobody's personal files are on the computer so I did it right. I deleted the OS completely. The factory settings says that it is Lion and I saw in the software update that it can go up to a newer OSx. I just would like to do this just because I am a geek and I like putting everything up to newer editions. But when I go to do this to the computer it then wants an Apple Id. I only have the computer's name and a password for the computer but not an Apple ID to get anything from the Apple store. I was hoping to upgrade this to Sierra without creating an Apple ID. I would actually sell the computer sometime in the future but would like it to be upgraded before I did sell it. I heard that there is no way to do this without creating an Apple ID with a password. So I suppose that means an email account.

Can you confirm all of this?

Would be nice to have a Sierra OS disk I suppose.

Apr 29, 2018 5:41 PM

Reply Helpful

Apr 29, 2018 6:55 PM in response to forjonny In response to forjonny

As I said before the posts got removed: You need an Apple ID to upgrade the OS version. and it will be tied to that Apple ID.

There is no way to do it without an Apple ID. If you want to upgrade it, you'll need an Apple ID.

You can wipe it again later when you sell it to remove the Apple ID and leave it ready for the next owner to use their own Apple ID with it.

The Apple ID you create can be used on Windows with iTunes if you want or to access the iCloud website from pretty much any other OS you want.

Apr 29, 2018 6:55 PM

Reply Helpful (2)

Apr 29, 2018 11:47 PM in response to Phil0124 In response to Phil0124

Not to mention the question had adequate response before you replied.

However the edits occurred due to a lack of common courtesy and a

breech of ASC policy (name-calling & hateful reply to me) without case.

Links back from Apple Support article were used to bring up exact &

adequately accurate reply to initial question. Sad to see such ignored.

Thought maybe you saw first wreck he made, the hosts cleaned it up.

Cleaned-up copy exists in Lounge for your perusal & its not a full copy.

Thank you for repeating the correct answer again but wish you hadn't.

..Good luck & happy trails..! 🙂

Apr 29, 2018 11:47 PM

Reply Helpful

Apr 30, 2018 9:53 AM in response to Phil0124 In response to Phil0124

Now what if I get a new OS on disk and do a clean install? I probably wouldn't need an Apple Id unless I wanted to use the store. Is this right? Then I could sell it in time and let the new owner set up an Apple ID for themselves. Is this right? I wonder how new a disk that I can put on this Mac Mini? It would be nice to get the newest that I can put on this machine like High Sierra. This is what I have: Mac Mini 6,1 Model number: A1347 - Serial number: C0*******WYL
[Personal Information Edited by Host]

Apr 30, 2018 9:53 AM

Reply Helpful

Apr 30, 2018 6:26 PM in response to forjonny In response to forjonny

They would be illegal. Mac OS downloads are not transferable and tied to the Apple ID used to obtain them. The only legal source for any Mac OS (lion and newer) is Apple (and its' app store). And, they may or may not work with updates since they were created with the sellers' Apple ID.

What is the problem with creating an Apple ID? It will fade away if you don't use it.

Apr 30, 2018 6:26 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: forjonny

Question: Upgrading Mac Mini without Apple ID