Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iPad mini to restore from a 2015 backup?

I just got a new iPad mini 4 and would like to use a 2015 backup to restore it from. When I connect the new iPad Mini to my MacBook Pro (13 inch, Mid 2012) 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7, with 16 GB of RAM, running OS X - 10.10.5, my iTunes (12.7.4.80) does not see my new iPad Mini.

When I click the preferences, and then devices on iTunes on the older laptop, I see the back up that I want to use, so I know it's there.

I understand that a possible solution could be to upgrade the complete OS - but I am afraid that this won't work, or could end up ruining all files. I should also mention that one of the sole reasons I've held on to this MacBook Pro was so that I could restore my iPad Mini from the back up waiting on this iTunes account/computer.

Is there a way to extract the backup for the iPad Mini from this older laptop, and put it on my newer laptop (running OS X - 10.13.4) so that I could restore my new iPad mini that way - bypassing the older laptop?

The goal, get this iPad mini restored from the 2015 backup somehow.

OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Apr 20, 2018 4:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2018 8:58 PM

Don't know what I did. Turned the computer off and on once. Tried again and it recognized the iPad. So, if there's a solution, I guess I don't need it, and I guess I didn't find it.

1 reply

New iPad mini to restore from a 2015 backup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.