Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t Delete Ringtone from iPhone 8 (iTunes 12.7)

Hello,

I don't seem to be able to delete a custom ringtone from my iPhone 8 using iTunes 12.7 (the current build - 12.7.4.76). I've got the manual management of music and videos enabled. When I switch to Tones, I get to see 3 items which are greyed out and none of them actually refers to the only custom ringtone I've got in my phone. If I remove them from the library and hit the Sync button, they re-appear in there, and it doesn't affect the ringtone in my phone in any way.

Weirdly enough, I used the same procedure on my iPhone SE without issues. What's different about the iPhone 8 that this procedure doesn't work with it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

iPhone 8, iOS 11.2.1

Posted on Apr 21, 2018 1:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2018 2:00 AM

See Create and manage ringtones in iTunes for general advice on managing ringtones.

If there are custom tones on the device that don't show in the iTunes interface you could use iFunBox or a similar third party tool to poke around in the file system of the device. In iFunBox try going to Toolbox > User File System > iPod_Control > Ringtones. Any custom tones on your device should show up there with random 4 letter file names and a .m4r extension. Deleting these should clear all custom tones from the list on the device, and you can then add back what you want using iTunes.

tt2

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2018 2:00 AM in response to Mike P CZ

See Create and manage ringtones in iTunes for general advice on managing ringtones.

If there are custom tones on the device that don't show in the iTunes interface you could use iFunBox or a similar third party tool to poke around in the file system of the device. In iFunBox try going to Toolbox > User File System > iPod_Control > Ringtones. Any custom tones on your device should show up there with random 4 letter file names and a .m4r extension. Deleting these should clear all custom tones from the list on the device, and you can then add back what you want using iTunes.

tt2

Can’t Delete Ringtone from iPhone 8 (iTunes 12.7)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.