Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't add Gmail to Mail.app, iOS

I tried to add Google Gmail to Mail.app on iOS 11.3, my steps are: Settings -> Accounts & Passwords -> Add Account -> Google, then input my Gmail address(****@gmail.com), my password, 2-Step Verification code. Then there is a screen with 4 switches. On this screen, all 4 switches are faded that I can't enable or disable them like the picture below.

User uploaded file

This screen flashes out within 1 second and my account is still not added.

I've tried some other options.

1. I added my account on another iPhone with iOS 11.3, can't be added either, which means it's not my iPhone's problem.

2. I can use Gmail.app/Gmail website/Gmail on other 3rd party mail apps and they work fine, which means my Gmail account has no problem.

3. I can add other emails like Microsoft exchange, only Gmail can not be added.

4. My Google Account/Gmail on my Mac or PC is OK too.

5. I created a new account from Google.com and tried to add it to my iPhone, to my surprise, this new account won't be added either.

6. I've restarted my iPhones for 6 or 7 times, no difference.

6. I restored my iPhone and set it as an new iPhone, my Gmail account still can't be added.

I've done these options on my 2 iPhones: iPhone SE(64GB, A1723) and iPhone 6(16GB, A1586), they all do the same thing. And this problem started when I installed iOS 11.3 Beta 5, but now my iOS version is 11.3 release.

I've asked on Google Gmail Help Form about this and I thought it was not Google's problem, see my question: Google Groups

Need help, Thanks a lot!

iPhone SE, iOS 11.3

Posted on Apr 20, 2018 10:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2018 6:30 AM

I'm replying for everyone who still couldn't fix this problem, this is how easily I did it. I'm connected from Italy (both wi-fi and LTE connections have Italian IP addresses) but I set United States as Region on the iPhone. So I went to Settings on the iPhone, General, Language & Region and set it to Italy. Then I tried to add the Gmail account at it just worked as it should have. Apparently in my case it had to do with the iPhone region and probably the Gmail account and/or the network regions which didn't match.

So in short: make sure your iPhone Region matches the Country you are connected from.

P.s. After I added my Gmail account I was able to set back the iPhone Region to USA.

Similar questions

41 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2018 6:30 AM in response to WangChong

I'm replying for everyone who still couldn't fix this problem, this is how easily I did it. I'm connected from Italy (both wi-fi and LTE connections have Italian IP addresses) but I set United States as Region on the iPhone. So I went to Settings on the iPhone, General, Language & Region and set it to Italy. Then I tried to add the Gmail account at it just worked as it should have. Apparently in my case it had to do with the iPhone region and probably the Gmail account and/or the network regions which didn't match.

So in short: make sure your iPhone Region matches the Country you are connected from.

P.s. After I added my Gmail account I was able to set back the iPhone Region to USA.

Oct 8, 2018 4:22 PM in response to WangChong

• Open the Settings application on your device.
  • Select Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
  • Select Add Account…
  • Select Other
  • Select Add CardDAV Account
  • Fill out your account information in the following fields:
    • -Server: Enter “google.com”
    • -User Name: Enter your full Google Account or Google Apps email address.
    • -Password: Your Google Account or Google Apps password. (If you’ve enabled 2 step verification you’ll need to generate and enter an application specific password. Go here -> Account settings: Your browser is not supported.)
    • -Description: Enter a description of the account (e.g. Personal Contacts).

Nov 24, 2018 10:23 PM in response to milansandashri

this is very useful,but need change some steps

• Open the Settings application on your device.
  • Select Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
  • Select Add Account…
  • Select Other
  • Select Add mail Account
  • select imap

Fill out your account information in the following fields:

• -Enter “imap.gmail.com” for receive mail server and "smtp.gmail.com" for submit mail server.
  • -User Name: Enter your full Google Account or Google Apps email address.
  • -Password: Your Google Account or Google Apps password. (If you’ve enabled 2 step verification you’ll need to generate and enter an application specific password. Go here -> Account settings: Your browser is not supported.)

Aug 24, 2018 10:43 AM in response to WangChong

I had this issue too. But I happen to be an admin on my GSuite account I was connecting to (commercial version of Gmail) The issue was that I had a warning in my admin account that a user (myself ) had exceeded the quota allowed for Gmail using IMAP (How Apple mail connects to Gmail) That is why I could use the Gmail app from Google because it uses a Google proprietary connection that has no volume limits. But Apple uses an Open connection called IMAP. If you are trying through a paid Gmail account, ask to remove the limit from your own admin. Otherwise according to the message I got, you have to wait 5 days for Google to allocate your account more bandwidth. Its not an Apple problem but a Google limit on how it manages bandwidth to Apple mail users using the IMAP protocol. Frankly this is a Google issue that is meant to drive people to their products.

I hope that helps.

Aug 24, 2018 10:46 PM in response to jmbarry

This is a general reply to the topic, not specifically to jmbarry...

The problem lies on the Google side; they have put hurdles in place to encourage people to use their email clients. They say they are more secure, and that mail apps like the native iPhone email is less secure. So, when the iPhone email app tries to connect, Google's Gmail blocks the connection.

Search for "Let less secure apps access your account" (Let less secure apps access your account - Google Account Help) and you can see that you need to change one or more settings in your Gmail account to allow what they say are less secure apps to access your Gmail account. Once you do that, you should be able to connect via the iPhone's email app.

I was still having problems, though, in a couple of cases, after I restored from a back-up. When I selected "Google" when trying to add a new email account on the iPhone or, when trying to re-enter my Gmail password (when trying to re-connect my existing accounts), I got a screen that quickly flashed and then failed back to the original. I found that I had to delete my old Gmail accounts and create new ones, but using the "Other" account option on the iPhone email app. To do that, use these IMAP / SMTP settings (Use IMAP to check Gmail on other email clients - Gmail Help).

Aug 24, 2018 11:23 PM in response to raphael_sanzio

I’ve tried every solution and nothing works. Your solution doesn’t work either. iOS or Mac never get to the screen of even inputting credentials. You click on Google and it just goes back and loops. So trusting apps has nothing To do with this. By the way it’s not just google. Clicking on add yahoo yield same result. Problem is on Apples end.

Aug 24, 2018 11:26 PM in response to Briansyddall

I’m having same exact issue. On my Mac, iPhone and iPad. Tested on 3 other peoples phones also, not on same wife. I think it’s a widespread issue. I’ve tried every solution and nothing works. Can more people try it and confirm? Click on add email account or add account and select Google or Yahoo. Nothing happens. On Mac gives error Connection Insecure. Failed to verify servers certificate.

I spent hours trying To fix and digging through solutions. Tried everything. Deleting certificates in keychain, deleting email accounts. Restarting. Resetting. Network, router, proxies. Then I checked on another persons conputer elsewhere. Same message. Then I checked on my wives phone. On her moms and my moms phones. Same thing. Widespread issue. Haven’t checked a phone yet where it works.

Can't add Gmail to Mail.app, iOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.