Question: Mail App Badge Notification Wrong in iOS 11.3
For a few weeks, the Mail App badge notification is intermittently overestimating my unread emails by exactly 36. I have to open to the app, let the app check for new messages, and then update. But within 5-10 minutes, the Mail App's badge notification is overestimating my unread emails by 36 again. If I open the app and let the app check for new messages, it fixes itself again. Even when I manually update the app by swiping down, the unread email count wavers back and forth between two numbers (and the difference is always 36). I have been able to replicate this all day long for weeks.
- I am running iOS 11.3
- I do not have this problem with my Mac's Mail app
- I am using one email account: Gmail. (I do not use iCloud for email)
- There is no folder or subfolder of Gmail that has 36 unread items in it
- There is no folder or subfolder of my Gmail that has even a multiple of 36 in it
- I am not using Gmail's filtering (e.g., inbox.google.com)
Troubleshooting steps I've taken so far (none have worked):
- Toggle off "Mail" in Gmail account in Settings. Close Settings, close Mail. Toggle on "Mail" in Gmail account in Settings. Open Mail.
- Delete my Gmail account from the phone (in settings) and re-add the Gmail account.
- Restart the device.
If someone knows whether or not this is a known bug, that'd be helpful. I really don't want to restore the device from scratch we already know that that will be ineffective.