Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is this icon in Photos edit

when editing a photo in the Photos app there is a little symbol/icon immediately to the left of Revert to Original. I can’t see what it does, hoped it would be split view, original and edited, but it doesn’t seem to do anything. Appreciate an explanation. Thanks

MacBook Air, macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Posted on Apr 21, 2018 2:13 PM

17 replies

Apr 22, 2018 2:39 AM in response to Henrypartridge

Try to apply an edit that you can easily see, for example, apply a crop or similar. Then click the button "Show photo without adjustments" and you should be seeing the effect.

User uploaded file

If not, there may be something wrong with your library. Did you ever run any cleaning applications to remove duplicates? Some of them are dangerous and may have removed the unedited originals.

Apr 23, 2018 11:57 AM in response to Henrypartridge

Then either both buttons are dead, or the photo has no adjustments.

I just noticed, that with Photos 3.0 on macOS 10.13.4 the the button "Show photo without adjustments" will work only for adjustments applied with the Adjustment panel, not for crop and straighten, at least in my library.

Test with a true adjustment. For example, turn Black & White" on. Can you now toggle the color off and on with the button "Show photo without adjustments" ?

Apr 23, 2018 11:04 PM in response to Old Toad

I can confirm that. That button only works for Adjust and Filters.

Do you remember, OT, if it previously worked for the straighten tool as well? If I remember correctly, I could previously view the original version in Edit mode, independent of the kind of edits. Now even the "M" key does no longer show the original image in Edit mode, if the image has been cropped and straightened.

It looks like a bug to me. I have to use "Image > Duplicate one photo from Original ⇧⌥⌘D" to see the original, without the cropping and straightening.

Apr 24, 2018 5:39 AM in response to léonie

Apologies, you’re right, getting my videos mixed up. I think the guy was doing Command D to duplicate the photo. To the left was a sort of dock with tiny thumbnails so if he wanted to see it without adjustments he just clicked on the thumbnail. At every stage he did a duplicate before the next adjustments. I think this was in Photos app?

What is this icon in Photos edit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.