Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

deactivating windows

The windows on my Mac are deactivating and turning gray even when on fullscreen. I have to click on them to type or press buttons again. It does this randomly and is annoying, and I can't get back to what I was doing until they activate again. Can someone tell me what is going on and how to fix it?

MacBook Air, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Apr 22, 2018 12:33 PM

1 reply

May 18, 2018 4:40 PM in response to Nathan_Drake

I'm not sure what is going on, I have the exact same issue, and it appeared with the latest 10.13.4 update for me on a 2015 MacBook Pro. I just contacted Apple Support, did the PRAM and controller resets to see if it would still persist and it did 5 minutes later. I pulled an older thread from Mavericks with the same issue that did not seem to provide a solution (a few had suggested Bluetooth pairings, which I deleted all of them) and the issue continues to occur probably every 5 minutes or less, depending on the day. No hot corners, just full screen Safari, messages, apps, or any program that supports full screen. It is really bizarre and sounds like a slight problem that is a huge annoyance. I will type an entire sentence and nothing will show up in messages because, surprise, the full screen imessages program became inactive, but no other program opened up. I have an open ticket with Apple Support and I will update when I have one, but for now it’s process of elimination, deleting programs and seeing who is the culprit. Just curious, do you have Microsoft Office and OneDrive on your machine?

deactivating windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.