Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating urls in a Favorites Folder

I posted the following in the Windows Compatibility forum several days ago without any success, and but few viewings. Hopefully, I will do better here on the MacBook Pro site.

When I switched over to the Mac from Windows, my Favorites folder on the desktop (containing a listing of web sites and their urls) was converted and placed on the desktop of my MacBook Pro. In a Windows environment, one can access each of the files and alter the urls, if necessary. How does one accomplish this on the Mac? If I right-click a listing and select Get Info, it does not offer one a means by which to update a url. I can get around this by placing the folder in OneDrive and by making the updates on a Windows laptop. But, I would prefer to edit directly from my Mac.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Apr 23, 2018 2:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2018 6:44 PM

What is the file format, a .webloc ?

Would it not be just as easy to follow your amended url in the browser and drag the new url from menubar to your Desktop or folder?

If you import the bookmarks to your browser you get edit the location from the Bookmarks>show all bookmarks.

ex. Firefox

User uploaded file

ex.Safari

right click (control click) in the favorites

User uploaded file

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2018 6:44 PM in response to Colonel_Biggs

What is the file format, a .webloc ?

Would it not be just as easy to follow your amended url in the browser and drag the new url from menubar to your Desktop or folder?

If you import the bookmarks to your browser you get edit the location from the Bookmarks>show all bookmarks.

ex. Firefox

User uploaded file

ex.Safari

right click (control click) in the favorites

User uploaded file

Apr 23, 2018 7:49 PM in response to leroydouglas

Sir Douglas --

Thanks you for your rapid response.

As you are no doubt aware, the Windows Favorites folder contains a listing of internet shortcuts. If one places this folder in OneDrive, for example, the equivalent placed on the Mac desktop (from OneDrive) contains this same listing in the form of .url files. The only difference is that if one right-clicks the Windows file, one can update the name/url.

Since I use a listing containing some 200 shortcuts, it is somewhat unwieldy to place them all in Safari's Favorites. I do place frequently-used items in Safari, however. I had not considered the possibility of dragging a new (or corrected) url listing rom Safari to the Desktop folder (Favorites). This solves my updating problem, for which I thank you. (The procedure creates a file with a .webloc extension.). It does not permit an updating of the Windows Favorites folder, however, but I will have to work on that one.

Many thanks!

Gordon

Apr 23, 2018 8:01 PM in response to Colonel_Biggs

Colonel_Biggs wrote:

As you are no doubt aware, the Windows Favorites folder contains a listing of internet shortcuts. If one places this folder in OneDrive, for example, the equivalent placed on the Mac desktop (from OneDrive) contains this same listing in the form of .url files. The only difference is that if one right-clicks the Windows file, one can update the name/url.

Thanks for the follow up Colonel_Biggs.

I am a Mac person, so your provided Windows information was all new to me.

(I do run Windows occasionally in a virtual machine, but simply limited to cross platform/cross browser compatibility of website design & development. Practically I spend no more than necessary in the Windows environment however.)

Maybe others more familiar with both platforms will have more to contribute.

Good computing !

Updating urls in a Favorites Folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.