Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud keeps asking for password in Windows 10

Last week I traveled out of the country (Turks & Caicos) and when I logged in to Windows 10 (in Bootcamp), iCloud asked for my login password. I thought nothing of it until I got home.

Now, iCloud in Windows asks for my password every 10-15 minutes, which of course must be approved by entering the two-factor code from my phone. I have entered the password and code at least two dozen times in the past couple of days, and it always asks again later.

I have tried deleting iCloud, reinstalling, and rebooting the machine between every action. I noticed that my iCloud drive folder is also empty after the last reinstallation process.

To say this is frustrating is an understatement. I only use iCloud in Windows for synchronizing bookmarks (Chrome and Internet Explorer), and for the iCoud Drive. But both of these are necessary for my work.

Any ideas are quite welcome. Apple says that because it's a Windows thing, they give up!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.6), with Bootcamp partition

Posted on Apr 24, 2018 6:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2018 11:57 AM

Hi Everbody,

I've got a workaround while Apple does not fix the problem.
I uninstalled the version of Icloud for windows 7.4.
Then I downloaded an older version, 6.2.2.
At https://www.downloadcrew.com/article/25317-icloud_control_panel_for_windows you can download it. I installed and followed the instructions to install in Outlook. Now it's working.
We're going to have to wait for Apple to pity us and get the issue straight. Do not forget to turn off the automatic update in Apple Software Update. For the update we must do it manually.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2018 11:57 AM in response to Eli Sherer

Hi Everbody,

I've got a workaround while Apple does not fix the problem.
I uninstalled the version of Icloud for windows 7.4.
Then I downloaded an older version, 6.2.2.
At https://www.downloadcrew.com/article/25317-icloud_control_panel_for_windows you can download it. I installed and followed the instructions to install in Outlook. Now it's working.
We're going to have to wait for Apple to pity us and get the issue straight. Do not forget to turn off the automatic update in Apple Software Update. For the update we must do it manually.

May 31, 2018 3:56 AM in response to Eli Sherer

Hi peeps, I was having this problem and doing this might have fixed it, I am not having the problem any more and my iCloud software has not been upgraded or downgraded since it started happening. I'm thinking this problem had something to do with the Windows 10 April Update that made iCloud think there was multiple versions of my PC floating around.

On my iPhone under Settings, AppleID - there is a list of allowed/authorised devices

I noticed that my Windows 10 PC was in the list three times (same PC hostname x 3)

Signed out of both iTunes and iCloud on the PC

Removed all three PC entries from the list of devices on my iPhone

Restarted the PC and then signed back into iTunes and iCloud

Now there is only one entry for my Windows 10 PC, and I am no longer being continually prompted to enter my iCloud password

HTH

May 29, 2018 5:18 PM in response to Eli Sherer

Eli Sherer wrote:

Last week I traveled out of the country (Turks & Caicos) and when I logged in to Windows 10 (in Bootcamp), iCloud asked for my login password. I thought nothing of it until I got home.

Now, iCloud in Windows asks for my password every 10-15 minutes, which of course must be approved by entering the two-factor code from my phone. I have entered the password and code at least two dozen times in the past couple of days, and it always asks again later.

I have tried deleting iCloud, reinstalling, and rebooting the machine between every action. I noticed that my iCloud drive folder is also empty after the last reinstallation process.

To say this is frustrating is an understatement. I only use iCloud in Windows for synchronizing bookmarks (Chrome and Internet Explorer), and for the iCoud Drive. But both of these are necessary for my work.

Any ideas are quite welcome. Apple says that because it's a Windows thing, they give up!

Found this response in another discussion here, and it worked for me. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8061821

A recent update has made app-specific passwords necessary in order to utilize your iCloud email account with non-Apple devices. This means that, in order to sign into Outlook with your iCloud email account, you need to set up an app-specific password, as detailed here: Using app-specific passwords - Apple Support. In order to use an app-specific password, you first need to set up two-factor authentication, as detailed in this article: Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support.

Once you've done that, you can add your iCloud email account to Outlook, using the steps here: iCloud: Set up iCloud Mail on your devices.

I already had 2-factor authentication turned on, so all I had to do was sign into appleid.apple.com and generate an "app specific password" in the security section below the list of my trusted hone numbers. I then used my iCloud email and the new password, and have iCloud in my Mail, Calendars and People apps.

I hate Outlook and when I used the iCloud app for Win 10 it started to use Outlook in Office 365 for syncing my data instead. I prefer the simple apps myself.

May 2, 2018 12:33 PM in response to Eli Sherer

Hi Everbody,

I got a partial solution.
After Windows starts, Icloud will prompt you to enter the password. You enter the password and the second check. After Icloud logged in, keep it open, do not close the program. For as long as it remains open, it will not prompt you for the password again.

I have another PC that is running another older version of Icloud. On this computer there is no problem. So I believe the problem is due to some review of the program. Until Apple fixes this there is not much to do.

iCloud keeps asking for password in Windows 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.