Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there still an upgrade route to macOS Server 5.6.1 for me?

I am running macOS Sierra with macOS Server 5.3. The main reason was that I did not want to move to the new file system yet.

But now that Apple has announced mail services will be dropped in the fall, it is wise to at least get the latest macOS Server (5.6) and for that I need to upgrade my server to High Sierra. But Apple has announced that 'new installations' won't be able to use mail server in the new macOS Server. And if I recall correctly, an update from Sierra to High Sierra will deactivate macOS Server until I install it again.

So, I'm afraid that when I upgrade to High Sierra, I will lose mail services, because the installation of macOS Server 5.6 will be seen as a 'new' installation.

Is this true or can i still upgrade?

Mac mini, macOS Sierra (10.12.4), Server 5.3

Posted on Apr 25, 2018 2:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2018 7:17 AM

You can upgrade to High Sierra and macOS Server 5.6.1 which is the current version. The services that are to be deprecated this Fall are currently hidden in 5.6.1. Any of these that your 5.3 version is using will still be visible and usable in the sidebar. Those that are not in the sidebar can still be used/seen by clicking on View and selecting that service.

Personally, I see no reason to upgrade to High Sierra and macOS Server 5.6.1. Sierra and 5.3.1 work just fine for my needs.

I don't know of any announcement by Apple saying new installs of macOS Server would not have the deprecated services. Maybe they mean the services will be hidden and not in the sidebar.

From this Apple link:

For existing macOS Server customers updating to macOS Server 5.6 from previous versions, macOS Server will be unaffected, and will continue to work as before.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2018 7:17 AM in response to Gerben Wierda

You can upgrade to High Sierra and macOS Server 5.6.1 which is the current version. The services that are to be deprecated this Fall are currently hidden in 5.6.1. Any of these that your 5.3 version is using will still be visible and usable in the sidebar. Those that are not in the sidebar can still be used/seen by clicking on View and selecting that service.

Personally, I see no reason to upgrade to High Sierra and macOS Server 5.6.1. Sierra and 5.3.1 work just fine for my needs.

I don't know of any announcement by Apple saying new installs of macOS Server would not have the deprecated services. Maybe they mean the services will be hidden and not in the sidebar.

From this Apple link:

For existing macOS Server customers updating to macOS Server 5.6 from previous versions, macOS Server will be unaffected, and will continue to work as before.

Apr 25, 2018 7:17 AM in response to keg55

keg55 wrote:

From this Apple link:

The reason for updating to 5.6 (and hence macOS 10.13) is that any instructions to move from the macOS Server version of postfx/dovecot to the open source one will be based on macOS Server 5.6.1 and might not work on a macOS Server 5.3 installation.

Apr 25, 2018 8:07 AM in response to keg55

The question was not if current installs of macOS Server are unaffected by upgrading to 5.6.1, the question was if an upgrade from macOS 10.12 to macOS 10.13 will affect the existing install of macOS Server 5.3 in such a way that I will get into trouble with upgrading to 5.6.1. I cannot update macOS Server 5.6.1 on macOS 10.12 (incompatible update), I must first update macOS.

Apr 25, 2018 8:15 AM in response to Gerben Wierda

You won't be affected.

When you upgrade the OS to High Sierra, the install will notice macOS Server (5.3) is incompatible. You will see a message informing you of this. So, it will turn off the services during the OS install. Afterwards, you will want to update macOS Server to 5.6.1. After the update is installed and you launch Server, it will configure your existing services and turn them on. All your services should work as before.

Is there still an upgrade route to macOS Server 5.6.1 for me?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.