Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 7 Microphone Disabled and Headphones Not Working

Hi all,

My iPhone 7 with iOS 11.3.1 has a problem with its microphone and headphone jack.

When I make a call, I am unable to click on the loud “Speaker” button, and also am unable to hear the person on the other side of the call. Basically my phone can make calls, but I am unable to hear the other person and the other person can’t hear me. Also my voice recorder is greyed out, so there’s definitely an issue with the microphone, as if it was disabled.

Additionally, my headphones cannot be recognised by the phone when plugged in, however the phone is still able to charge.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Note: the headphones are not faulty, it’s definitely has to be a phone issue. Also sorry for the terrible explanation, I’m at work at the moment 🙂.

Thanks

Peter

Posted on Apr 26, 2018 8:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2018 4:30 PM

Hi ProustGiulio,

Thanks for your reply, however none of the methods fixed the issue :(.

I’ve also realised that my camera is unable to record sound which is very disappointing. I’ve googled the issue and managed to find someone with the same issue about a week ago. He went to the apple store and they said they don’t cover it. So it looks like I’ll just go through insurance for the phone.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2018 4:30 PM in response to ProustGiulio

Hi ProustGiulio,

Thanks for your reply, however none of the methods fixed the issue :(.

I’ve also realised that my camera is unable to record sound which is very disappointing. I’ve googled the issue and managed to find someone with the same issue about a week ago. He went to the apple store and they said they don’t cover it. So it looks like I’ll just go through insurance for the phone.

Apr 27, 2018 10:37 PM in response to Pete1555

UPDATE:

I connected my bluetooth headphones that have both speakers and a microphone. The headphones play sound, but the microphone on the headphones doesn't work. On the voice recorder app, the record button is still disabled. I find this issue so pathetic as the microphone has been disabled by the software, so no microphone will work on the phone. Really going to reconsider purchasing another apple product, as this is a complete joke.

/rant.

Apr 27, 2018 2:55 AM in response to Pete1555

Start here:

Force restart your iP7: Press and hold both the Side (power) and Volume Down buttons for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. When it appears, release both buttons, wait for your iphone to restart, then test it.

If you get no help, read this support guide:

Get help with the microphones on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

If the issue still persists, I would make an appointment at your most convenient Apple Store or Authorized Service Provider and have your iphone checked:

Apple - Find Locations - Location Selector

Regards

Giulio

Apr 28, 2018 4:18 PM in response to Tupaclypse

To be honest, I believe I updated my phone twice in the past 1-2 weeks. However, I updated to the current version (iOS 11.3.1) AFTER the problem occurred. So it took a few days after the first update before the problem arose.

I made a call last night to Apple Support, and they recommended that I factory restore (which I already did twice - both as new phone and from backup - didn’t work) and he ran a diagnostic test to which he found nothing regarding my microphone.

I’ve booked an appointment on Wednesday afternoon, so will come back with an update regarding what they are going to do. If they charge me I’m just going to go make a claim through insurance.

I hope this provides you with some insight.

Apr 30, 2018 9:56 AM in response to Pete1555

I tried connecting my phone via Bluetooth to a pair of exercise headphones and to my car. It seems that's the only way I can make and receive calls at the moment. I contacted Apple support and we went through the steps (restoring from backup and as new) to no avail. I also made an appointment for later this week. I'm also out of warranty with no insurance. *sigh*

I'd appreciate an update to this after your appointment. Thanks!

May 2, 2018 1:40 AM in response to Tupaclypse

UPDATE AFTER GENIUS BAR APPOINTMENT:

So I went in and explained the situation and after a quick inspection the individual noticed that the phone had a slight bend throughout, to which he said that the logic board was damaged. With a damaged logic board, the phone deactivates various functionalities, one being the microphone. So no matter what I inserted in the jack etc... the phone refuses to activate the microphone functionality. So the only option they offered was a new/refurbished iPhone (my warranty expired) on the spot which cost me $459AU (my insurance covers this, I only have to pay $200 for the excess).

So I'm not sure if we have the exact same issue as your bluetooth microphone functionality works, but in all honesty I have no idea. I hope I could of helped, and I wish you the best of luck to get your phone sorted.

iPhone 7 Microphone Disabled and Headphones Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.