Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS 10.13.4 wake up screen glitch

I've been noticing this issue lately and Ive called apple support about it and we have tried clearing the nv ram and the cmos and it still will not go away. I was worried that it could have been a hardware issue but after doing some researching I think this may be a software issue with metal 2. every time I wake my MacBook Pro from sleep I get a brief 1 second flash this is what it looks like

https://i.imgur.com/wfZTfAo.jpg

I found a reddit post with a lot of people having the same issue and I hope that apple sees this and fixes it.

is anyone else having this issue on the latest version of high Sierra ? are there any fixes ?

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on May 6, 2018 5:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2018 10:21 AM

I have the exact same issue and laptop. The screen glitches have been getting a little worse and I just got the below screen—my laptop had frozen, then I got this screen and had to manually restart. I chatted Apple Support after and they told me to reset the NVRAM. Hopefully this helps, but based on an earlier comment I'm skeptical.
User uploaded file

142 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2018 10:21 AM in response to edward2057

I have the exact same issue and laptop. The screen glitches have been getting a little worse and I just got the below screen—my laptop had frozen, then I got this screen and had to manually restart. I chatted Apple Support after and they told me to reset the NVRAM. Hopefully this helps, but based on an earlier comment I'm skeptical.
User uploaded file

Aug 30, 2018 2:28 PM in response to edward2057

I have the same exact issue, bought my 13' 256GB pro in January of this year, 2018. Went into the Walnutcreek, CA store and they couldn't give me an answer, changed something in my settings and it still persists, they suggested that we might need to reinstall the software but after reading all these responses, I'm assuming that wouldn't work either....but here's an image of mine.

User uploaded file

Sep 24, 2018 12:13 PM in response to gemmafanta

I'm so glad I found this thread!! I have the MacBook Pro with Touch Bar 2017 15 inch and I've been experiencing some issues too: when I open up my Macbook pro lid I get the flash of pink/blue/whatever colour it happens to be; I can't play movies on Netflix or iTunes 'see image below' due to some problem with the display and if Netflix/youtube etc happen to start working I get a white flash localised in the centre of the display like you'd see on the screen of an old VCR player!!

I've been to the genius bar three times and they've never been able to recreate the problem. The only key advice I'd gotten is to note down these issues with apple support so that if a solution is found I have a clear history of what I've been through with this machine which I thought (ffs) was top of the line!!User uploaded file

Oct 20, 2018 3:33 AM in response to edward2057

I've been having a similar issue with my mid-2012 13" MBP, but the display irregularities remain until I restart the machine. This is a visual aspect only, because the menu bars can be opened and respond as required.

Has anyone found a fix for this?

User uploaded file

Nov 24, 2018 4:36 AM in response to edward2057

Greatings from Germany, we have this screen issue too. Our MacBook Pro 13" mid 2012 no Retina shows after sleep wakup the same screen issues. It shows a lot of artefacts, seems to be after the leatest updates. At the moment Mojave is installed. Tried to clear nv-ram and p-ram. It happens not so often, maybe 1 or 2 times a week. Hope there

is no hardware problem.

User uploaded file

Nov 24, 2018 3:28 PM in response to BDAqua

A heat issue is highly unlikely since my 2012 13" MacBook Pro usually only sleeps when the battery runs low, and upon plugging in and waking up, the aluminum body of the computer is actually remarkably cold until it has been in use for a while. I have attached screenshots of what my desktop looks like, including one with an open menu that cannot be read due to missing text. When this issue occurs, the only remedy is a full reboot, and to do so, I have to click on the Apple on the toolbar multiple times to see where "Restart..." is because the text will appear for just a second while the menu is trying to render.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Dec 28, 2018 2:36 PM in response to edward2057

Still having this issue when MacBook is woken from sleep. It only happens when the battery is dead, in my case.

Logging out and logging back gets rid of the glitches until the next time the battery dies.

• Mojave 10.14.1 (18B75)
  • MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)
  • 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7
  • 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
  • Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

Jan 8, 2019 3:56 AM in response to BDAqua

I gave the last chance to Mojave in my macbook air (mid 2012) during Christmas and I do not know the reason, but now it seems that it is working fine (cross fingers).

I did an SMC reset after upgrading to Mojave and I have wake up the computer several times daily without problems (from 10 days ago).

I do not know the reason but perhaps the Mojave 10.14.2 has some bug fixed related to Metal/intel gpus/ or SMC managing that seems to fix my issue.

I suggest all of you to test a deep SMC reset: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

I have to say that I replaced the original HDD with a Samsung SSD 512GB in my MBP and several times, the computer wakes up with a full reboot instead of recover just the login screen. Perhaps the full reboot is hiding the issue, but using an SSD, a full reboot is really fast (and I had the issue before that forced to reboot using the ON button for 10 seconds).

If I get the issue again, I will post it here.

Good Luck.

Sep 23, 2018 11:16 AM in response to edward2057

I have the same question and I solved it. I installed an App called "Duet" and I assume that you have it too, or maybe some similar App which messed with your screen.

Here is my solution:

1. uninstall this kind of App
  2. open System Preferences -> Accessibility and select the Display tab, then uncheck the Reduce transparency if you checked it before

Reference link: https://geek.ng/fix-blank-gray-background-on-macos-high-sierra-lock-screen/

Hope this could help!

Dec 22, 2018 12:05 PM in response to broncoben76

Ensure you have latest updates in your high sierra. I believe the issue depends on the operating system and the graphics card.

Mine has an Intel HD 4000 with 1536MB and I do not have the issue under 10.13.6.

My problem appears when I update to Mojave.

Let us know your graphics card and if you update to Mojave, let us know if the issue disappears.

In other threads some people says that the issue could be related to overheated cpu.

If you get the issue all the times the MBP wakes up, see if the computer is overheated.

May 6, 2019 9:01 AM in response to edward2057

i try to share here my experience. MB Pro, TB, 13. Bought 3 months ago.

After few weeks, i experimented, at the first boot of the day, this weird glitch before the login. Just a matter of 2 seconds and the everything was working fine.

Even if it was not a big deal, it was pretty annoying to me. So i tried Vram reset, SMC reset, a complete re-install of mojave with no backup and.. the glitch still there.

After a couple of week, with no particoular reason, it works better.

The glitch never appers at first boot, it pops up sometimes if i reboot the mac after some hours of use.

My biggest concern honestly is that this glitch is hardware related but after reading this thread i think is something 100% software. I've spoken with my authorized reseller and they say it does not worth to leave the mac for 5 days because the problem is due to the Mojave and affects especially the Touch bar models. They saw other cases like mine. After a Motherboard/graphic card replacement the problem show up again after some days.

So.. i'll wait for the june Mojave update hoping they address this. Any other suggestion will be appreciate.

May 7, 2018 9:45 AM in response to edward2057

I hope that apple sees this and fixes it.

Apple will not, unless you show it to them, and they don't use this site for that purpose.

I was worried that it could have been a hardware issue ...

It could be, since I am not familiar with any software-related problem that would cause that fuzzy screen. Contact Support and arrange to have your Mac evaluated by an Apple Retail Store or AASP. They will almost certainly tell you nothing is wrong. However, in so doing you will have established a service record which will be essential to you in the unlikely event there will be a hardware service program announced in the future.

May 9, 2018 1:51 PM in response to edward2057

THANK YOU for posting this! This started for me when I upgraded to High Sierra 10.13.3; when I upgraded to 10.13.4, it temporarily stopped, but now it's back. The screen flashes so briefly, I'm not able to capture the image.

This is the first post I've found that describes this problem (others mention a "rainbow swirl" type problem and others mention black dots on the desktop view).

It's worrying because I purchased my MacBook Pro December 2017. When did you purchase your model?

Mac OS 10.13.4 wake up screen glitch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.