Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 flashes silent/ring mode-stuck in silent?

This happened with one of the iOS updates summer 2017. It’s driving me crazzzy. The ringer isn’t broken bc I can bypass with assigning contact emergency break thru phone ring. It’s not the button bc it operates properly. I have reset (Home + power) countless times. At best after 10 resets I may get sound restored for 5 mins. Then poof! The ringer/silent flashes on n off over n over n over n over. Ultimately when it stops blinking back n forth the sound is gone again. It sure seems like a software issue bc hardware is fine! I’ve contemplated buying new iPhone but if its what I suspect and in fact software related I fear I’ll copy it from backup right onto new phone... Please help! I’m in wheelchair recovering from emergency surgery. iPhone is my lifeline! Resetting to factory isn’t a viable option right now. Any other help would b much appreciated!!

Posted on May 8, 2018 12:32 AM

9 replies

May 8, 2018 1:18 AM in response to Briansyddall

Thanks...as I said I’ve checked buttons on side of phone as well as iPhone settings and “do not disturb” in all locations to no avail. I truly think it’s a software/firmware prob. I’ve seen other complaints with iPhone 6 since the summer 2017 iOS upgrade...when I recently upgrade to 11.3.1 I thought it was fixed. It worked and then bam ringer/silent started flashing like crazy (see pic below) n ringer stopped. But it does work if I emergency bypass a contact. That’s what makes me think it’s not my button(s) or a setting bc it WILL ring in bypass mode-bizarre!!?? Alarm rings too.

Why are you suggesting download manual from iBooks? I don’t understand? What do you think would b helpful?

Thanks in advance and thanks for suggestions!

User uploaded file

May 8, 2018 2:27 AM in response to Dogcow-Moof

Thanks! I do believe the button is operational. When I flip, it responds as it should - it just goes immediately into silent mode. It will not come out of silent mode unless I do an emergency bypass in telephone contact. Then it rings perfectly!

The switch immediately goes to ringer/silent when I flip it. The only time I’ve been able to get it to audibly ring is after the last iOS update and if I hard reset (home+power) at least 10 times or more in a row. Then it comes back for a short time (hours) if I’m lucky. Then back to same issue :((

Sounds like software, yes?? FYI it hasn’t been dropped or gotten wet or anything else that I could attribute this to - it was intermittent at first and then just stopped ringing :(((

Anyone from Apple out there?

May 8, 2018 3:06 AM in response to Dogcow-Moof

I appreciate your suggestion and comments. Let me clarify. The prob was intially intermittent; meaning I was able to fix by restarting phone, or hard re boot - nothing with the hardware or switch. I realize you believe it’s the switch but I really don’t think so...then an iOS updates ran while in hospital early fall-ish...then it stopped completely. I was quite ill so I could b wrong about exactly when and def which iOS it was.

I

was hopeful someone from Apple might chime in as they have in past. I do realize this is a users forum.

I have spent a considerable amount of time researching this matter before posting here. I have seen some users have a hardware switch prob and/or do not disturb setting issue. That’s def not going on for me. I have also seen many complaints similar to mine, if not exact. I have not seen a resolve other than what you’ve suggested... I’ve tried to no avail.

But none of the things relative to hardware or settings r happening for me. It will ring with switch in place if I over ride the contact in settings with ‘emergency bypass’. The alarm will also bypass and ring without touching switch. That tells me it’s not the switch/ringer/hardware, it’s software - do u agree?

May 8, 2018 3:12 AM in response to kellykoz

The graphic you show is displayed when you change the switch.

When you do an emergency bypass, it is telling the phone to play the sound regardless of the setting of the switch, which is why it works.

The alarm will also ring regardless of the switch setting, because an alarm that didn't ring in silent mode would be useless to many.

In short, all of the ways you have mentioned that you get the sound to work are ways that specifically ignore the setting of the silent mode switch.

Having your phone serviced by your Apple Store or other servicer will likely be the only way to resolve the issue.

iPhone 6 flashes silent/ring mode-stuck in silent?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.