Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I lost old photos in My Photo Stream when I activated iCloud Photo Library TO BACK THEM UP

Before activating the iCloud Photo Library I viewed all of the pictures (some being a couple of years old) and then decided to back them up...the irony is deep here...

Then I activated the iCloud Photo Library on my phone. The My Photo Stream folder disappeared from the Photos app as I read it would, but no photos were downloaded to my PC where I have the iCloud application installed.

I deactivated iCloud Photo Library and the My Photo Stream folder appeared in the Photos app again, but only the photos from the last month were there...

Is there any chance to get the old photos back?

Thank you.

iPhone 6, iOS 11.3.1

Posted on May 8, 2018 1:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2018 9:11 AM

What versiono of Windows are you using on your PC?

1 - there is no iCloud Backup for PCs

2 - iCloud Photo Library is a syncing service, not a backup service and it must be enabled on both IOS devices and on your PC - the initial sync takes a long time (many days or weeks for a larger library)

3 - when ICPL is enabled the MPS album is not used or shown

4 - MPS is not a storage service either, it is a streaming service and only has the last 30 days or 1000 photos (which ever is less) available

LN

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2018 9:11 AM in response to KiLLeR13_

What versiono of Windows are you using on your PC?

1 - there is no iCloud Backup for PCs

2 - iCloud Photo Library is a syncing service, not a backup service and it must be enabled on both IOS devices and on your PC - the initial sync takes a long time (many days or weeks for a larger library)

3 - when ICPL is enabled the MPS album is not used or shown

4 - MPS is not a storage service either, it is a streaming service and only has the last 30 days or 1000 photos (which ever is less) available

LN

I lost old photos in My Photo Stream when I activated iCloud Photo Library TO BACK THEM UP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.