Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K - Match Dynamic Range reverts everything to SDR

I'm having trouble with the 'Match Dynamic Range' setting when viewing content I have purchased on the iTunes movie store.

I have tried this on two television sets, one Dolby Vision (and HDR10 etc) compatible - my LG OLED55B7V; and another set which supports HDR10 - a Philips 65PUS8601.

I have reviewed the advice on the apple support pages for 4K, HDR, and Dolby Vision on your Apple TV 4K and About frame rate and dynamic range matching on Apple TV 4K.

My HDMI cables, TV settings all work just fine when the matching is turned off, content plays fine. Whenever I turn on the 'Match Dynamic Range' feature - all content I try to play in Dolby Vision or HDR is downgraded to SDR without any success, I verify the error by checking the picture mode the television is in by looking in the settings menus at that time.

Looking around this website people have attributed it to things like digital codes they have redeemed to get the content - but I have no such association. No factory restore for the TV or Apple TV box sorts it, I suggest this might be a bug in the software that needs fixing unless there are any suggestions please?

Many thanks for your input and support.

Posted on May 10, 2018 2:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2018 5:13 AM

Right, thanks to a thread on MacRumors it is fixed. Converse to what you might instinctively think - turning on 'Quick Start' has allowed things to stream in 4K HDR/Dolby Vision.

Apple really ought to fix this, as clearly not intentional functionality!

Similar questions

11 replies

May 10, 2018 3:32 PM in response to Jonnnoy

My HDMI cables, TV settings all work just fine when the matching is turned off, content plays fine.

Is that with the base setting set to SDR? I.e. content plays fine, but not HDR?

Do you use a receiver, or a direct connection?

Some TVs and receiver have a few select HDMI ports that support 4K HDR, while the other ports are not top tier.

Some HDMI cables do support 4K, but are not certified for 4K 12 bit HDR.

If the HDR matching test on the Apple TV fails, then it will stream SDR content.

May 10, 2018 3:37 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Thanks for the reply, the Apple TV is directly connected to each telly in a compatible port with the appropriate setting enabled on the tv for HDR content.

I’ve done the ‘Check cable’ thing on the Apple TV which verifies HDR/Dolby vision 60hz in each case.

I’m using the belkin cable reccomended by Apple sold in their store.

Dolby vision / HDR content displays just fine when the ‘match dynamic range’ is off; and is working fine with other devices (such as my Xbox playing 4K Blu Ray discs).

The issue seems to purely be the ‘match dynamic range’ setting not working. Which is a shame for having to switch between content of varying quality.

May 11, 2018 2:59 AM in response to Jonnnoy

I don't believe it's anything to so with the Apple TV so I suspect restoring all the time is a likely waste of time (especially if you have a lot of apps to re-install. I have seen others report this issue, but suspect it to be specific to 3rd party equipment such as TV's, cabling, receivers etc. You might try it with other equipment, elsewhere, but it may be something you need to live with. I'm surprised you have the problem with the LG though, I don't have the same model but my set up works just fine with the LG I do have. (It appears, from monitoring these communities that the most troublesome TV's are from Samsung)

May 11, 2018 4:27 AM in response to Jonnnoy

All a cable does is route data, the only difference between one cable and another is how quickly they can route that data. It is the cards at each end (where the cable plugs into) that determine what features are supported, however DV and HLG is incorporated into the video signal and as such it doesn't actually matter what HDMI or HDCP specification is available at each end (assuming 1.4 or later), HDR10 requires HDMI 2.0a.

As for HDCP, again it isn't cables but rather devices that are compliant and the fact that yours works at all demonstrates that your equipment is indeed HDCP compliant.

The Ultra High speed cable sold by Apple is overkill for what is required for the Apple TV, that being said overkill shouldn't be a problem. Unless the cable you have is damaged in some way it should be fine with the Apple TV.

Personally I suspect that automatic switching is possibly a problem with some 3rd party equipment, I suspect that Apple now this and may be why it wasn't offered originally and is now only offered as an option.

Apple TV 4K - Match Dynamic Range reverts everything to SDR

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.