Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to stop inline attachments

Ok simple question really. I stopped using Outlook, too buggy. I have naturally moved to Apple Mail. When adding an attachment like a picture, it shows up inline, in the body of the email. Several of my recipients have complained about this and even I don't find it practical for many reasons.

I need a setting, a permanent one, that allows the attachment to not show inline, neither on my end nor on the recipient's end.

The more I use Apple software, the more I realize it forces one to do things their way, and their way is surprisingly non-ergonomic sometimes. It's "we know what's good for you, too bad if you don't like it".

Am I missing something?

If not, moving to Thunderbird. Just want to make sure I haven't missed a simple fix.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 11.3.1

Posted on May 11, 2018 5:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2018 12:46 PM

@Barney, agree about Outlook, which is why I'm not using it anymore. My problem is with Apple Mail.

Thanks all, but none of the solutions are satisfying. They are skirting around a problem that apparently can't be solved and mean more clicks before sending something. The opposite of what I'm looking for.

I'll just move to another client, Thunderbird or Airmail. All of them do what I want to do (even Outlook).

Goodbye Mail.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2018 12:46 PM in response to jbcortes

@Barney, agree about Outlook, which is why I'm not using it anymore. My problem is with Apple Mail.

Thanks all, but none of the solutions are satisfying. They are skirting around a problem that apparently can't be solved and mean more clicks before sending something. The opposite of what I'm looking for.

I'll just move to another client, Thunderbird or Airmail. All of them do what I want to do (even Outlook).

Goodbye Mail.

May 11, 2018 5:57 AM in response to jbcortes

Apple Mail will show the attachment where you insert it in your Mail compose view. No changing that.

The only option that you have for Window's users is to click the paper clip icon in the Mail compose toolbar. The resultant File Chooser has an options button on it. Click that, and check Send Windows-Friendly Attachments. This will remain set across Mail invocations.

You have no control over how the Mail user agent on the recipient side presents attachments, beyond the second paragraph above.

You might consider setting up a new Exchange Account in Apple Mail, and give it the address of your MS Exchange server. Apple Mail will then make you a peer with other Exchange users, and you should also be able to see the Exchange Active Directory when entering recipient names in the compose To and Cc fields. Admittedly, the last time that I did this was in 2013 with Mountain Lion, but I had perfect integration with Windows users, and no one complained about attachment issues.

May 11, 2018 9:41 AM in response to jbcortes

As Outlook is the worst email client ever created, you can only attempt to create something it can handle.

The best option is to send plain text, and select the options to Send Windows Friendly Attachments and Insert attachments at end of message.

It doesn't always work, but it seems to be the most successful.

Outlook was designed purely around Exchange. Handling internet email was an afterthought that hasn't been successfully implemented, yet.

May 11, 2018 12:50 PM in response to jbcortes

jbcortes wrote:

No, your recipient's problem is Outlook. Mail produces internet email protocol standards compliant emails. Outlook can't handle them because it doesn't support internet email protocol standards.

You don't have to do any more clicks. You can set the preferences permanently. However, Microsoft will find a way to make Outlook further incompatible with the rest of the internet.

May 12, 2018 1:17 AM in response to jbcortes

Now using Airmail with full satisfaction. Attachments show as a mini-icon my end, and are seen as a file on the recipient's end, much to their satisfaction, whichever client they use their end. No more complaints!

This is puzzling but the only solution to my problem (and I know it's a problem for many) as of May 2018, is to get stop using Apple Mail.

How to stop inline attachments

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.