Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac won't boot

Hi,

My iMac (from 2011 I think, running High Sierra) won't boot. It keeps getting stuck on the loading bar screen, with the bar filling itself really slowly and then nothing happening once it's full.

I encountered a similar issue just after the High Sierra update and managed to solve it by resetting the NVRAM (cmd+alt+P+R on start-up)... I tried that again and this time it haven't fixed anything. I also tried to restart on Safe Mode (holding shift), and to reset the SMC, without any succes.

Therewas only one time when the NVRAM reset seemed tout work, I accessed a screen asking me to choose from various options (reinstall MacOS, restore from a disk, etc). I then chose to boot from my regular Mac disk, everything seemed okay, I went and did a check of the internal disk with Disk Utility, which said everything was normal... I tried to turn my computer off and on again to check, and ended up in the same situation as before, my computer not booting, oh and also overheating a bit.

Is there something else I could try ? Would there be a point in trying the same things again (since it almost worked once) ?

Thank you for reading me, I wish you a pleasure d'Ay !

Nat

Posted on May 11, 2018 7:19 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

May 11, 2018 7:47 AM in response to macjack

Thank you for your reply. Holding cmd+R worked and brought up the restoring menu. I tried running an "S.O.S" on both disks again (OS X Base System and Macintosh HD) via Disk Utility and again it didn't detect anything apparently.

Could you advise me on which option to chose next ? I'm guessing there isn't a scenario where I don't lose all my data, is there ? (well I do have a TimeMachine save from a couples of months back, but I'd still lose a few things).

Thanks again !

iMac won't boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.