Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delamination of anti-gloss retina coating (staingate)

I want to reach out everyone that had this issue. Please choose below if you purchased your macbook pro retina:

A. ≥4 years ago (equal to or less than four years ago)

B. <4.

For the A's, call, chat or email Apple Care. They'll first ask you for the MacBooks serial number. Next they'll ask what is the issue. Reply "macbook pro retina delamitantion of anti-gloss coating" (I am guessing that apple used a very cheap or insufficient coat of paint). Next they'll issue an appointment to the nearest apple store where they'll completely change the screen (for a brand new one) free of charge.

For the B's I've looked at youtube videos where Russians and Ukrainians resolved the issue by applying polishers and solvents. Since the coating is on top of a glass screen you can apply a chemical solution and weaken the bonds that the molecules of the gloss has. I discarded the use of polishers because they obviously scratch the screen (even if at a microscopic level). So I ended up using rubbing alcohol and cotton to remove all of the anti gloss coating (see picture attached).

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

The first image is my macbook. The second one is my brothers (2015 I believe). The third one is my macbook after I removed the anti gloss coating.

RESULTS: of course the anti gloss serves a purpose. When the screen is off you can clearly see how much more reflection it has. But if you turn it on, it you won't notice it. The bottom line is that it's way better to remove all the flaking coating.

One detail Id like to mention.

My macbook pro retina is a Mid 2012 (out of the repair window by a year and a half). Since I purchased it (used) back in June of 2017 I noticed the beginning of the delimitation on certain spots but never payed attention to it until my screen had the what appear to be "smudges" all over the screen. As you can see in the first picture the track pad is imprinted (and so are the keyboard keys). First I thought that the heat that the macbook produced at a certain point had to be the cause of it. Then I googled a bit and came to the conclusion that it was probably because I had travelled a lot in the past 2 months and perhaps the screen had undergone some pressure from other items inside of my backpack (even tough it was in a protective-well cushioned case. Finally I went back to google and ended up knowing that Apple had this mayor flaw. But obviously the traveling exerted an effect on the weak coating.

HOPE IT HELPS

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 11.3.1, null

Posted on May 13, 2018 10:18 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

May 13, 2018 11:13 AM in response to babowa

Because some users had issues, Apple decided to extend the coverage for that possible defect to Four Years, and include users who presented their computers for service and also met certain additional criteria -- whether they had purchased AppleCare coverage or not. This program was never a "recall", it was handled like a Technical Service Bulletin, and has now expired.

Handling such non-life-threatening defects as a Technical Service Bulletin (users who present their devices for service in a certain time window are provided repairs at a modified cost or possibly free; Users are Not notified) is very common in the automotive industry as well. The thinking behind it is this: "If you cared about the problem that much, your device would have been in for service."

Automotive Full Recalls are based on the concept that you might die or be injured if the defect is not corrected, and so they make an attempt to contact you. This does not rise to anywhere near that level.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/02/24/apple-extended-anti-reflective-repair-progr am/

Delamination of anti-gloss retina coating (staingate)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.