Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail smart-mailboxes not working [consistently]

(This is similar, though opposite from, Apple Mail mailboxes not working after new 10.13.4 update)

I have a "Smart Mailbox" for "Unread" mail - which is defined as:

User uploaded file

In the past, if I click on some random mailbox and then click on the "Unread" mailbox, all previously read messages would have been removed from the header listing for the "Unread" mailbox.

Recently (possibly as of the update to 10.13.4, possibly earlier) I've started to notice that messages that have been read still show up in the Smart Mailbox - despite no longer being "unread" (no 'blue-dot' icon in header), and having clicked back and forth between various mailboxes.

If I Rebuild the various mailboxes that "feed" the Smart Mailbox, the read messages from those mailboxes will get removed from the "Unread" list - Rebuilding the Smart Mailbox itself has no effect.

While this is not a catastrophic problem, it is annoying.

Is there something I can do to fix this so that read messages are once again removed from the "Unread" Smart Mailbox when the view is refreshed (clicking on another mailbox and then clicking on "Unread", quitting/restarting Mail, etc.)? Or is this a bug that needs to be fixed on Apple's end?

Thanks,

--fish

MacBook Air, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on May 14, 2018 9:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2018 8:12 AM

Hello astoller,

Thanks for that info and choosing the Apple Support Communities. Based on what you stated, it seems you are experiencing issues with Smart Mailbox rules not working as expected in the Mail app on your MacBook Air, even after trying rebuilding the Smart Mailbox. To help narrow down this issue, use safe mode to start up your Mac as it does the following things:

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
  • Loads only required kernel extensions
  • Prevents startup items and login items from opening automatically
  • Disables user-installed fonts
  • Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Log into your user account and test the issue while in safe mode and then restart normally and test the issue again.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac ​
Limited graphics performance in OS X recovery or safe mode

If you're still having this issue, you can make a backup of your personal data and put a fresh copy of macOS on your Mac using OS X Recovery mode, as that will overwrite these system files causing the issue.

Back up your files with Time Machine
How to back up your Mac - Official Apple Support ​
How to reinstall macOS

Cheers!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2018 8:12 AM in response to astoller

Hello astoller,

Thanks for that info and choosing the Apple Support Communities. Based on what you stated, it seems you are experiencing issues with Smart Mailbox rules not working as expected in the Mail app on your MacBook Air, even after trying rebuilding the Smart Mailbox. To help narrow down this issue, use safe mode to start up your Mac as it does the following things:

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
  • Loads only required kernel extensions
  • Prevents startup items and login items from opening automatically
  • Disables user-installed fonts
  • Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Log into your user account and test the issue while in safe mode and then restart normally and test the issue again.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac ​
Limited graphics performance in OS X recovery or safe mode

If you're still having this issue, you can make a backup of your personal data and put a fresh copy of macOS on your Mac using OS X Recovery mode, as that will overwrite these system files causing the issue.

Back up your files with Time Machine
How to back up your Mac - Official Apple Support ​
How to reinstall macOS

Cheers!

May 15, 2018 2:00 PM in response to MoonJ.

Interestingly, while in "Safe Mode" - the "Unread" Smart Mailbox appears completely empty.

I've now re-started in "regular" mode - the contents of my "Unread" mailbox shows up again - will have to test over several days to see if the behavior re-occurs. If not, the booting in Safe Mode fixed it; if it still occurs, there's still an issue, and I'll try re-installing the OS.

I'll follow up in either case - (in the case of the problem persisting - both before & after re-installing the OS).

Thanks,

--fish

Apple Mail smart-mailboxes not working [consistently]

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.